CBS Strat neck with Bullet truss rod

T50

Hello Gents

Does anyone know who makes a top quality CBS Strat neck with Bullet truss rod???
So far, I've found only B. Hefner...

I want to replicate a Tele Deluxe from the 70s with different fret board specs and SS frets.

Why is it ok to change the fretboard and the frets, but not the truss rod adjustment nut?

There are a lot of reasons they don't make things like they used to, and some of those reasons are shameful. But, most of the time it's because they found better ways of doing things, particularly when it comes to guitar technology. Many, if not most of the original guitar designs really weren't very good mechanically, and in some cases were pretty bad. Why punish yourself? We've learned how to do it right, so why disregard that knowledge? Doesn't make any sense. If this is to be something you'll play rather than a museum restoration or other type of dust collector, there's no sense in being masochistic. Unless, of course, you're a masochist <grin>

If it's got the right threading, you can change the trussrod nut to a bullet style.  stewmac sells them.

AutoBat said:
If it's got the right threading, you can change the trussrod nut to a bullet style.  stewmac sells them.
Thanks for the info.

Cagey said:
Why is it ok to change the fretboard and the frets, but not the truss rod adjustment nut?
Simply because the fretboard radius and the frets are only things I want to change from the original and reissue.

T50 said:
Hello Gents

Does anyone know who makes a top quality CBS Strat neck with Bullet truss rod???

I want to replicate a Tele Deluxe from the 70s with different fret board specs and SS frets.
I see Hefner now offers SS wire so it appears it's either a Hefner neck with SS wire, bullet and no compound radius or a Fender neck with bullet, without SS wire and no compound radius or a CBS Warmoth with SS wire, with a compound radius and without the bullet.
Of the last 7 guitars I've built/assembled all have beefy Warmoth Pro Construction necks. Five are CBS style of which 3 are mounted on ‘74, ‘75 & ‘77 Fender bodies and 2 are on Hefner '70s 3-Bolt bodies. My upcoming Telecaster Deluxe 3-Bolt will also have a Warmoth CBS Pro-Construction neck.
If there was any other neck on the market that would all around out perform a Warmoth Pro neck I'd use it. The bullet shouldn't be a deciding factor, reserve it for closet queens with original cases, hang tags, etc.

NovasScootYa said:
T50 said:
Hello Gents

I see Hefner now offers SS wire so it appears it's either a Hefner neck with SS wire, bullet and no compound radius or a Fender neck with bullet, without SS wire and no compound radius or a CBS Warmoth with SS wire, with a compound radius and without the bullet.
Of the last 7 guitars I've built/assembled all have beefy Warmoth Pro Construction necks. Five are CBS style of which 3 are mounted on ‘74, ‘75 & ‘77 Fender bodies and 2 are CBS style on Hefner '70s 3-Bolt bodies. My upcoming Telecaster Deluxe 3-Bolt will also have a Warmoth CBS Pro-Construction neck.
If there was any other neck on the market that would all around out perform a Warmoth Pro neck I'd use it. The bullet shouldn't be a deciding factor, reserve it for closet queens with original cases, hang tags, etc.

Thanks for the info.
Have you ever tried a neck from Hefner? I read a bunch of negative reviews of Hefner necks and am kind of weary to get one.

Forget B.Hefner!

Contact Tommy Rosamond from USA Custom Guitars. He can do a bullet truss rod neck on special request.
I asked for one like a few months ago and he said he could do it.
USACG make great necks. I have several of them and they are pieces of art.

Schneidas said:
Forget B.Hefner!

Contact Tommy Rosamond from USA Custom Guitars. He can do a bullet truss rod neck on special request.
I asked for one like a few months ago and he said he could do it.
USACG make great necks. I have several of them and they are pieces of art with the best fretwork around.
That's perfect. Thanks!

Super Nigerian Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
I think Allparts does Bullet Truss Rods.

Thanks. Due to mixed reviews on Allparts necks, I'll try USACG first.
I already had a great experience with them.

Ah....just got off the phone with Tommy at USACG.
He isn't able to do it! Damn!

Cagey said:

There are a lot of reasons they don't make things like they used to, and some of those reasons are shameful. But, most of the time it's because they found better ways of doing things, particularly when it comes to guitar technology. Many, if not most of the original guitar designs really weren't very good mechanically, and in some cases were pretty bad. Why punish yourself? We've learned how to do it right, so why disregard that knowledge? Doesn't make any sense.

Cuz it's all about the mojo... and in some cases with "vintage" parts, the tone as well.

A bullet truss would fall under the former category.

BF%20Headstock.JPG

Superlizard said:
Cuz it's all about the mojo... and in some cases with "vintage" parts, the tone as well.

A bullet truss would fall under the former category.

AMEN

T50 said:
Super Nigerian Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
I think Allparts does Bullet Truss Rods.

Thanks. Due to mixed reviews on Allparts necks, I'll try USACG first.
I already had a great experience with them.

WHAAAT?
Seriously???
I have his email right here where he tells me that he can do it - but to be fair it was a couple of moths ago and he needed to check a few things first. It also took him like 2 weeks to get back to me with news that he could indeed do it.
Maybe things have changed now?
Bummer!!! Sorry bro!!!

Ok one more:
DC Custom Guitars!
Dean Cascione is a bro and a great guy (super guitar player as well) and he can do it 100%. He's a bit more expensive than everyone else though...
And he's the guy to go to if you want a great scallop job with a different pattern than what Warmoth offers.

PM me if you need the link since I'm not sure if it's cool to post a link here...

T50 said:
Have you ever tried a neck from Hefner? I read a bunch of negative reviews of Hefner necks and am kind of weary to get one.

Yes I have and yes you heard correct. In order to have sufficient space for the bullet the bottom of the nut slot needs to be arched Fender Style. The bore for the bullet may cut through a flat bottom nut slot. That happened on my Hefner CBS neck, Hefner did supply a nut with an arch cut in the middle to clear the shiny portion of the bullet protruding through the bottom of the nut slot. I suspect it would be close for most necks other than Fender.  If you decide to go with the promise of a bullet adjust installation be sure to ask if the end product will look and function exactly like the example headstock shown or your money back.

I don’t know the thread specs on a Warmoth Vintage Modern truss rod but it’s probably the same as Fender, etc. You might acquire an aftermarket bullet and compare its length, diameter, threads to a Warmoth VM Allen-head truss rod adjustor.  Ask Warmoth if they can build a VM neck and delete the Rosewood truss rod plug or simply drill the plug out of a used neck, etc. It may be a DIY conversion.

Attachments

• truss_rods_1.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 543
NovasScootYa said:
T50 said:

Yes I have and yes you heard correct. In order to have sufficient space for the bullet the bottom of the nut slot needs to be arched Fender Style. The bore for the bullet may cut through a flat bottom nut slot. That happened on my Hefner CBS neck, Hefner did supply a nut with an arch cut in the middle to clear the shiny portion of the bullet protruding through the bottom of the nut slot. I suspect it would be close for most necks other than Fender.  If you decide to go with the promise of a bullet adjust installation be sure to ask if the end product will look and function exactly like the example headstock shown or your money back.

I don’t know the thread specs on a Warmoth Vintage Modern truss rod but it’s probably the same as Fender, etc. You might acquire an aftermarket bullet and compare its length, diameter, threads to a Warmoth VM Allen-head truss rod adjustor.  Ask Warmoth if they can build a VM neck and delete the Rosewood truss rod plug or simply drill the plug out of a used neck, etc. It may be a DIY conversion.
Thanks for the helpful info.
I'll definitely stay away from Hefner necks. I'm not sure if Warmoth would take an extra step
to accommodate customer's request, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Back