Carve Top #3

You BASTARDS!!!!

I'm still paying for a custom acoustic!! (which is very nice BTW)

I've actually been playing with sketches for a full "hollow body", one of those ideas that just won't leave me alone. Mine's pretty radical, looks more like a Klingon weapon, but has a suspended top with a novel flatmount bridge sans tailpiece, but with no wood bending or glue ups. The timing on this new body couldn't suck more. When are you guys gonna get the new stuff in the builder already?You also need a "creative financing dept". Buy guitar. charge shows up as $7 at Bojangles, $47 in gas, $28 in auto parts,... and $20 in flower. the flowers are real and show up the day after the body arrives.

Mayfly said:
You BASTARDS!!!!

I'm still paying for a custom acoustic!! (which is very nice BTW)
I have found that this works in your favor.  People will try out all manners of interesting ideas while you can't buy one.  It lets you go through hundreds of iterations before you pull the trigger.  And you see what others ideas turn out like, very informative.  That being said, I'll be thinking of all those waiting when I get to build mine.  I'm probably not being honest there.  Only time will tell.
Patrick

DustyCat said:
Is that a masked binding?

I like the asymmetrical F holes, how do they sound?

Are you sure that is carved top? Looks pretty flat to me.
Also, you guys should do a model with more sag, make a "7" out of those f holes. I hear 7 is all the rage these days

There's a side view where the thickness of the cap can be seen in the humbucker routes.  Definitely a carved top.

AM I the only one who keeps going back to page 1 to look at it?
1074.gif

Interesting that they were able to squeeze 5 control locations...along with a LP style toggle.  make for some interesting options.  I assume all the old pick-up routing will still be available.

by the looks of the one photo it will still have a control cavity access panel.  Thank you.

DMRACO said:
1074.gif
No .... I keep having a look to see if I like it yet.

Still dose nothing for me.  :sad1:

I must be the only one that has NO excitement for this one.  :doh:

This brings a lot of ideas for a recording guitar, either the TV Jones combo I mentioned earlier or some nice Lipstick pickups, ala Charvel Surfcaster.

It'll be interesting to see what the trem options are and the chambering scheme looks like.

I keep going back to page #1 to look at #4.  That body has more flame than a ladies softball team.

TonyFlyingSquirrel said:
This brings a lot of ideas for a recording guitar, either the TV Jones combo

Hmmm TV Jones, bigsby, maybe a big CBS headstock, flame maple top, and a burst.

Bastards.

Updown said:
DMRACO said:
1074.gif

No, you're not alone. You and I have similar taste in guitars/appointments, and apparently similar distaste as well. I just can't get excited about this design.

But, that's ok. If everyone were the same, it would be a pretty boring world. As it is, at least we can make fun of those who don't know what looks good  :icon_biggrin:

Carve Top #3 looks very good to me.  And I'm now realising that what ruined the starcaster was the hideous headstock.  A proper neck on this would look fantastic. (also no f holes, and a floyd)

Cagey said:
Updown said:
DMRACO said:
1074.gif

No, you're not alone. You and I have similar taste in guitars/appointments, and apparently similar distaste as well. I just can't get excited about this design.

But, that's ok. If everyone were the same, it would be a pretty boring world. As it is, at least we can make fun of those who don't know what looks good  :icon_biggrin:
I remember a time when you were anti Telecaster...  There is no problem with not everyone wanting one, that gives me more time to pull the trigger when they start showing up in the showcase.  It'll be interesting to see how some of these ideas look.
Patrick

Patrick from Davis said:
I remember a time when you were anti Telecaster... 

Good point. I should keep my mouth shut. I certainly don't need to help myself look silly.

Mayfly said:
TonyFlyingSquirrel said:
This brings a lot of ideas for a recording guitar, either the TV Jones combo

Hmmm TV Jones, bigsby, maybe a big CBS headstock, flame maple top, and a burst.

Bastards.

I'm not so sure that the CBS would complement that body.  I think the Warmoth 3x3 would have the most direct string pull of their 3x3 headstocks, but even a Warhead, or reverse Warhead with headstock face to match body would be a good match up.  It's the only 6 inline headstock that I think would work for it, perhaps even the "modified" Warhead that Rob Rounds did on his Warmoth Broadcaster.

It has so many curves that a CBS to Warhead is what I am seeing.  Not sure about the reverse headstock on it yet, need to see and example in order to see if I like it.  That or the original, with a flame veneer that has matched finish on the routed step of it.
Patrick

I want a scalloped Starcaster headstock pretty badly. If there's a smaller version, non-cbs sized, I think that would be a fun addition as well.

Let us not talk falsely now - the hour's getting late.

First off, there's a luthier named Paul Rhoney who has been dining out on this idea for a while. You guys surely remember this:

It looks pretty darn fine, but I don't really like his approach to the headstock:

Eeeeyew! That headstock! in fact I'd say his headstock's are pretty much the worst-looking thing here:

Ibanez had an early 80's git called the "Roadstar", which I thought had a nice riff on the Starcaster concept without all the BULGING associated with it, if you know what I mean:

In fact. that idea was sort-of the basis I used in beavering down my paddlehead for use on my seven-string:

The only downside to that was that, apparently, that's what penises are shaped like in Brazil! Humpf! Hell, it's no wonder we won the war, huh? :laughing3:

In the meantime, Mr. Rhoney has done some bulging himself, he's got hosses in the stable at several of the boutique-y custom dealers, and he is still snacking on the Road-Star-Caster-Blaster, quite tastily I think.

http://rebel-guitars.com/category/inventory/guitars/paul-rhoney-guitars/

But as long as the files open, I want to cast my gentle net of 'suasion towards provident #4 - i.e. something along the line of another Ibby hit of the 80's, the Musician:

It's sort of VIPPy, but with a wafting aroma redolent of an asymmetrical Alemboid dip in the gene pool -

"GRANDMA! WHO'S THAT SLIPPIN' AROUND IN THE WOODPILE AGIN?!?"

"Why, nobody, Leo - must just be that woodchuck - agin!"

Hey, did you know that when you say "asymmetrical", you make an as... aw hell, I'll save that one for another thread. That need it worse.

Back