Carbon Fiber plate

As my username hints I'm something of a Ducati freak and CF is the sportbike version of chrome... so I'm not a big fan of it in general. It's overused and often not a great material to choose for the intended function of the part. Along those lines I wouldn't use a composite neck plate. I'm no expert but it seems to me if I wanted to crack a thin carbon fiber sheet, putting countersunk holes in it and screwing it down hard would be a great way to do that.

DesmoDog said:
As my username hints I'm something of a Ducati freak and CF is the sportbike version of chrome... so I'm not a big fan of it in general. It's overused and often not a great material to choose for the intended function of the part. Along those lines I wouldn't use a composite neck plate. I'm no expert but it seems to me if I wanted to crack a thin carbon fiber sheet, putting countersunk holes in it and screwing it down hard would be a great way to do that.

Its actually thicker than the actual neck plate, like 3mm of CF.

Carbon fibre looks pretty good over the whole guitar, too ;)
carbon-fiber-les-paul-3.jpg

Rick wants a snarky new name too said:
Plus, it's 30% lighter than a guitar made of steel...

Steel? Aren't those things heavy enough? <grin>

I'm not sure if a lightweight LP is such a Good Thing. Part of what makes a Les Paul what it is its mass. Gives it a lot of inertia, which in addition to the short scale and having the neck so deeply buried in the body translates into its characteristic sustain and the resultant natural compression. Take that away and there's no reason to put up with its inaccessible frets, inconvenient headstock, high production cost, etc.

Back