CAR Jazz

bassilisk

My latest Warmoth, completed 3 weeks ago. Now that I've had a chance to get it out on some gigs I can pose it.

Candy Red Alder body, Maple neck (slim profile) with a blocked Ebony board and vintage tint/matching headstock, Hipshot vintage tuners and brass A bridge, Nordstrand Big Singles run passive with V-T for each and Q-Parts red Abalone shell knobs. When I get some proper hosting I'll put up some more pics. What can I say - it's my fourth one. Each one adds another flavor to enjoy. I am happy! :icon_biggrin:

CANDYFULLFR1.JPG

I saw this on TalkBass today. :blob7:

Very nice.

Why VVTT though? The tone controls interact.

Mebbe one is a pickup sweep selector?

Or not.. I have no idea if I'm honest.. I love how that looks tho.  :icon_thumright:

I totally love it!  The only thing that would make it better, IMO, would be a Dinky J body instead of the standard J.  Totally reminds me of a Moon bass. :headbang:

Cool! Not sure why Nordstrand uses that "dark grey" pickups cover instead of a black one, would be so much cooler!

that is nice man! im a natural wood man myself when it comes to bass guitars. i remember playing this beast of a bass at a local shop, had spalted maple with a mahogony pinstripe and a really really high grade flame/birdseye neck. it was strange since it had both patterns on the neck at the same time. totally baffled me but it was a beast, Heavy brute of a instrument like. but it reminded me of some hot jazz from the 70's and 80's

go jaco!

Thanks all! I really like the new slim profile neck - nothing drastic but enough to make it extra comfortable.

line6man: I originally wanted it to be a stacker. I have several basses with that setup and I like it. howecer, Nordstrand recommends 250K pots for volume and treble. Stacked pots with a double 250k are only just starting to show up and I didn't care for the product - looked too flimsy for my taste. After talking it over with my tech I decided to split the stacks and go with standard CTS. He told me he had a way to minimize the interaction of the tone controls vs a traditional stacker setup. That's not my forte so I'll have to take a look to see what he actually did, but after using it on a couple of gigs I can vouch for it. The volumes of course interact very noticeably, more so than on a standard single coil. Though these are singles they're not like the sparkly standard J pickups I'm used to. Lots of beefy low mids and bottom end - it sits in the mix with clarity and authority. BTW, I'm using .043 caps per Nordy too.

I can see why a lot of folks use these pickups with a pre - for the extended upper range. I started with DR flats on this bass and just switched out to Pro Steels. I'm going to use it this weekend outdoors so I'll be able to juice it some, but I can already tell from my practice amp it doesn't need the girth of flats - it's already in there. It'll stay passive V-T for now - there's plenty of room in there to go active later.

Wyliee: My last Warmoth was a full size J too. I'm just used to the size/mass of a regular Jazz. I have a carved top Dinky P and it's great, but I'm fairly large and the smaller bodies only emphasize that. :laughing7:

NonsenseTele: I'm with you on that. Unfortunately that's an aspect beyond our control. My Dinky P has a P/MM setup - the Fralin P is shiny black and the SD MM is like these. There's nothing for it. :-\

And finally elfro89: I too love the look of natural and I already have a number of basses that fit that bill admirably. I never had a CAR and I've been wanting one for a long time. the finish on this is flawless and it finally scratched my itch!

bassilisk said:
He told me he had a way to minimize the interaction of the tone controls vs a traditional stacker setup

So did you isolate the controls from each other with resistors?

That does give a drop in volume and some reduction of treble.

I took a look into the cavity last night and there are no resisitors on any of the pots. I'm going to see my tech sometime next week when I bring it in for its first tweak after settling in and ask him more about it. Stay tuned.

Very cool! Talked with Stew at Nordstrand about the shinny black covers, he said I was the only guy who asked it in 5 years... So, if you want it, ask too and invite all your bass friends! It's about only 2999 people asking to go :laughing7:

Back