Cannot Decide on Maple Neck/Fretboard Finish

Hey everyone -
I currently have a modern Tele build that I'm about to begin. It has a maple neck and fretboard, but I can't decide on just how to finish it. My original plan was to use either tru-oil or tung oil on both the back of the neck as well as the fretboard. Clearly stamped on the Warmoth neck heel is a warning about the warranty being void if an oil finish is used. So, that got me thinking of a clear satin nitro, or even just a cheap-o rattle can clear coat finish. I had already bought a small package of Zpoxy finishing resin for grain filling on the body. That got me wondering if I could effectively use a few wipe on coats of the same Zpoxy stuff to seal the neck, both the back and the fretboard? I'm concerned as to how that would feel on the hand, as not a lot of stuff is out there on using Zpoxy as a neck/fretboard finish. So my current state is a huge jumbled mess, and I'm nowhere near to deciding just how to finish the neck and fretboard. I like the feel and look of a light oil finish - should I ignore the warranty warning and just go for it? Is there a finish that feels similar to oil that would satisfy the warranty requirement? Anyone with experience using Zpoxy as a neck finish? Thanks for all the help - it is MUCH appreciated.

I decided to blow off the warranty and go for the best possible "feel", and that is tru oil. Unless you live someplace with wild seasonal humidity swings, the chances that you would end up trying to make a warranty claim on your neck is minuscule. And, as someone pointed out in another thread, its only 1 year anyway.

In deciding between tung and truoil, I did a side by side comparison on some scrap. They came out very close in look and sheen, but the truoil had an edge in surface feel. This was sutherland wells pre polymerized Tung BTW. I'm up to 8 applications of truoil on my walnut neck and its getting quite glossy but does not have any grab at all. The second application was rubbed in with P1200 sand paper. If you don't want any gloss, between 1 and 3 applications is all that is needed. The trick is to get it on absolutely as thin as possible and 24 hours between applications. You can find people suggesting as short as 2 hours between coats, but I think that is asking for trouble.

I wouldn't use Zpoxy on the neck for anything. With maple, you're not going to be concerned with pore filling, so Zpoxy would be pure overkill if the intent is to maximize warranty protection. Especially on the fretboard. An errant application of Zpoxy and build-up around the frets could lead to a $400 mistake. Once it hardens, it's extremely difficult to remove (epoxy, after all).

Too much, and it'll be like gloss but with more friction. Sure, the warranty might be preserved, but at the cost of playability.

What type of back-of-neck feel is your preference?

Second ... no zpoxy.
Second ... Either 20 coats of thin Tru oil or 5 coats wipe on poly. As to timing etc all depends on your technique. For me I can get in two coats a day. Yes Tru oil finish is not covered under warranty. For me the Tru oil takes about six weeks to cure. Poly about two.

Back