Can Warmoth Compare to Prebuilt?

Street Avenger said:
I will never buy another production-line guitar...

My version would be, "I will never buy another bolt on neck guitar".

Still have the hots for some set neck and neck through models.

rauchman said:
Street Avenger said:
I will never buy another production-line guitar...

My version would be, "I will never buy another bolt on neck guitar".

Still have the hots for some set neck and neck through models.

Not to mention acoustic guitars.

Tonally I have no need to glue necks in. But that no heel access could be sweet, and there's no denying it looks purty

rlefty said:
Heh, I'll bite on this. I didn't see any funny headstocks, probably because I'm always looking for lefties. Pics?

I think what people are alluding to is the fact that Warmoth has ghost-built parts for a LOT of other guitar companies, including some pretty high-dollar stuff. Gibson Custom Shop, Teye Guitars, Valley Arts, etc. Not to mention Yamaha, Pensa-Suhr, etc, etc, etc.

We don't do it much any more, though we continue to get approached all the time. These days we usually say "no". Over the last four decades individual customers have proven to be much better payers. ;)

As to the OP: as parts Warmoth products are world-class, and have the potential to become a guitar as good or better than anything out there. It all depends on who is doing the assembling and set up.

Ever watch The Great British Baking Show? All the contestants start with the same ingredients.

The Aaron said:
rlefty said:
Heh, I'll bite on this. I didn't see any funny headstocks, probably because I'm always looking for lefties. Pics?

I think what people are alluding to is the fact that Warmoth has ghost-built parts for a LOT of other guitar companies, including some pretty high-dollar stuff. Gibson Custom Shop, Teye Guitars, Valley Arts, etc. Not to mention Yamaha, Pensa-Suhr, etc, etc, etc.

We don't do it much any more, though we continue to get approached all the time. These days we usually say "no". Over the last four decades individual customers have proven to be much better payers. ;)

As to the OP: as parts Warmoth products are world-class, and have the potential to become a guitar as good or better than anything out there. It all depends on who is doing the assembling and set up.

Ever watch The Great British Baking Show? All the contestants start with the same ingredients.

Good analogy :icon_biggrin: I have been thoroughly  convinced!

BroccoliRob said:
So da real question is: can pre-built keep up with Warmoth? ;)

According to our licensing agreement with Fender, we must periodically submit necks to them for quality inspection. Here is an excerpt from the agreement that defines the standard of quality that must be upheld. (italics added by me):

"Standard of Quality
(5) Each Replacement Neck shall have a quality at least as high as that of replacement necks manufactured by FMIC..." 

Make of that what you will.

rlefty said:
To the OP, like others have mentioned, Fender guitars (specifically) are parts guitars with the parts built to spec and the assembled later; not any different than Warmoth (who happen to build to that same spec). Really any mass-produced bolt on construction instruments are done this way.

The set neck stuff, like Gibson and PRS are actually also built this way, though the bodies and necks are mated (permanently) earlier in the build process.

The main difference is that, the more you tend to pay, the more you can assume that someone who understands how to set up a guiltar is involved in final assembly. But that someone *can* be yourself (as you learn) and/or a local tech with a Warmoth build.

All that said, the resale value of parts builds is unfortunately not great, no matter how quality your build is/was. But you certainly can put a build together that is on par with any of the best Suhr or Fender Custom Shop guitars, etc. And you get to pay less than half for it while execising maximum configurability. Lastly, you can have a completely custom built bolt on guitar in probably 3 months from paypal to final assembly (less without covid). That process takes well over a year with the big builders, other than Kiesel.
I agree with all of this, but I build my Warmoth guitars for Me, not to re-sell later. And if I ever did want to sell one, someone will either pay my price or no deal. There was a time when no one had ever heard of John Suhr, or the other big names in the "boutique" guitar business. How much were their guitars worth back then? In any case, I buy from Warmoth to get what I want in a guitar. Paying double or triple for the same thing is just illogical unless it's an investment. None of the extremely valuable, collectable guitars provide everything I want in a guitar that I want to play on a regular basis.

Back