can`t turn the truss rod enough...

eiopago

hi,
i`m not new to setting up guitars and truss rods but i have a problem with no apparent solution.
i have a warmoth pro constuction neck on a guitar and i was trying to straighten it a little bit by tightening the truss rod.
the problem is that even without strings (so no string tension) i can`t get to turn it, it`s just very stiff and i`m worried to break something.
i do not want to switch to lower string gauge (i know this will cause less relief after i put new strings).
has anyone ever had the same?
i know about some people losening the truss rod completely and not being able to get enough relief but my problem is the opposite.

thanks a lot in advance

If you read the page abour Pro Series necks. you'll see that they require greater effort to adjust. Personally I have found that a smaller turn yields a bigger result on a dual action truss rod too so keep that in mind.

You might want to call Warmoth and tell them of your concern before really putting some force behind that allen key. It might be fine and the only problem is the extra force required to make an adjustment. Good luck.

http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/necks/necks.cfm?fuseaction=truss_rods#double

+1 to Telenator, and additionally, you really need to adjust the neck with strings on at normal tuning tension.

Is that with the side adjust mechanism? There are specific procedures for that... "Fully tightening the side-adjuster so that it stops will lock the action of the heel-adjust nut. Do not attempt to tighten the heel nut while the side nut is locked"

jackthehack said:
+1 to Telenator, and additionally, you really need to adjust the neck with strings on at normal tuning tension.

I'm pretty new at this, but on the "Anatomy of a Neck" section on WM's website, it specifically states, "Never adjust the neck under full string tension - always de-tune the strings first". Also it goes on and says, "If there is a large amount of resistance in the side-adjust nut and it is recessed STOP and re-set the nut as outlined below. Fully tightening the side-adjuster so that it stops will lock the action of the heel-adjust nut. Do not attempt to tighten the heel nut while the side nut is locked".

I just did mine following this procedure. It made sense to me to release the string tension to take the pressure off the truss rod and also the tightening screw.

Agree. I would prefer the statement to be: "measure relief with the strings at normal playing tension, then release tension before adjusting the truss rod". I'd also prefer, after a small adjustment of the truss rod (quarter turn or so) to bring everything back under tension and let it rest for a couple of hours before measuring again.

But your truss rod isn't moving at all, do that's a whole different story. My suggestion is to leae it be until you've had a chance to talk about this with one of the Warmoth sales reps. If you feel like it might break, it probably will.

hi,
the neck i have is a warmoth pro with a  warmoth headstock shape, so i adjust the truss rod from the headstock.
i always do it with no string tension on the neck and measure the relief with the strings tuned to standard E.
i`m sure if i force the truss rod i`l break it but it`s a bit frustrating having to play this beautiful guitar with a slightly higher action than what i`d like...
why is the pro construction neck more difficult to adjust?
where did you read that?
i must have missed it, anyway `ill call the guys at warmoth.

thanks

Back