Can Necks “Flame” Over Time?

CJT1775

Greetings all. This may be a dumb question, but can maple develop a flame over time? I ordered a one-piece roasted maple neck from the show case this past fall. Put my guitfiddle together in December, been playing it and loving it since. The past few nights, I *think* and am pretty sure I’m starting to see some flame in the neck .. err... developing? I didn’t see any flame before, but am pretty sure I am seeing it now. Is this possible, or are my eyes playing tricks on me?

I left the neck raw, if that matters.

If you left it raw, it's possible you're seeing a bit of what you might have gotten with a finish. Wipe it with naptha and see if more pipes up.

I don’t know if a piece wood that’s cut and used on a body or neck and perhaps even finished, will actually ”develop” flames. I don’t know if it’s possible but someone with knowledge of woods and the biology of wood can chime in.

What I can say that I had this experience on my Fender Super-Sonic.
Never thought much of it, but as time went by I saw several ”streaks” of flames on the back of it (and it’s a finished neck).
Now if they were there all along and it’s more a question of me discovering them, I cannot say.
But I feel like it’s a ”they weren’t there yesterday and now they are”- kind of thing.
???

Don't you guys know about the Flame Ghost?  The Flame Ghost adds flame to any wood that is loved and well cared for.*

*Not really.

Blue Oyster Cult were inspired to write a song about Warmoth Necks on Flame with Rock N Roll...no wait that was Cities on Flame...

But seriously I think the answer is most likely what swarfrat wrote in the second post along with it the wood having more time after being cut and sanded to be exposed to the air. But the flame must have been there though may have revealed itself more.

Back