Camphor Burl

CarteBlanche

I just saw the Camphor Burl tops in the Unique Choice section. Does anyone know what types of wood these would be similar too?

in terms of appearance, almost looks like a cross between quilt maple and birdseye if that's what you mean. 
camphor%20burl%2039%20web.jpg

Thank you for the reply, but I was interested in physical properties. i.e.  Hardness, grain structure, pores, ease to work with and so on.

Camphor is also known as cinnamomum, which is an Asian plant. Since it's a burl wood, the density will be quite variable, so you won't know what you've got until it comes, hardness can vary as well (wood is harder near the stump due to leaching of minerals into the wood). So it's like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get.

A burl is a big weird-looking growth on the side of a tree.  They tend to be very hard and have lots of curved grain patterns and other weirdness.  I have no idea how porous it is.

Edit: I like UTSC's answer better, listen to him :)

UTSC said:
Camphor is also known as cinnamomum, which is an Asian plant. Since it's a burl wood, the density will be quite variable, so you won't know what you've got until it comes, hardness can vary as well (wood is harder near the stump due to leaching of minerals into the wood). So it's like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get.

It smells good too.

Those look absolutely killer!!!

Wyliee - I don't see the same selection under the VIP.  Can the camphor burl be used on a VIP carved top?

DocNrock said:

Wyliee - I don't see the same selection under the VIP.  Can the camphor burl be used on a VIP carved top?

If you like that, pray that one day warmoth will get some amboyna burl
Amboyna%20Burl%20Lg.jpg

Amboyna%20Burl.jpg

All of those pics look like something you might see in a book about dermatology ;)

is it possible to get camphor burl on a hollow body strat top?

THAT would make ideas INTERESTING

thanks in advance

DocNrock said:

I haven't seen a response to my question yet.  Is that a "no?"  If so, too bad.  :sad:

imminentG said:
is it possible to get camphor burl on a hollow body strat top?

THAT would make ideas INTERESTING

thanks in advance

It is possible, however I would do it by first epoxying the wood in order to provide structural stability.

Hope that helps.

DocNrock said:
DocNrock said:

I haven't seen a response to my question yet.  Is that a "no?"  If so, too bad.   :sad:

Sorry, didn't mean to blow you off.  It *might* be possible.  One concern I see is the contour on the upper horn could lead to some cracking in the top.  I don't have a definitive answer.

Speaking of burls, here's one I came across a while back; Eucalyptus burl:

2719259967_4f0295b84e.jpg

I was thinking something like that, because I think it is spalt or burl maple that is inapplicable on hollow strats

I just want to know if Warmoth would be able to do that

though I am still leaning towards zebrawood, camphor burl is some of the sickest eye popping wood ever

buckeye anyone?  :laughing11:

GoDrex said:
All of those pics look like something you might see in a book about dermatology ;)
I was thinking the exact same thing!

Back