Rosewood / Rosewood
Indian Rosewood / Indian Rosewood
Pau-Ferro / Ebony
Pau-Ferro / Macassar Ebony
Bocote / Ziricote 
Goncalo Alves / Pau-Ferro
Wenge / Wenge
Out of those, which are all slick / smooth and fast  :party07:
My Fav would be Bocote  :headbang: ...... then the Pau-Ferro's  :icon_thumright: ..... then any of the others.  :guitarplayer2:

I really seem to notice the warmth in the Rosewoods thou  :icon_biggrin:

You will love either of their choices they have.

I currently have the following raw neck combos:

Wenge / ebony  x2 (Standard Thin and Boatneck)
Pau Ferro / Pau Ferro x1 (Standard Thin)
Bubinga / ebony x1 (59 Roundback)

The Wenge / Ebony is the best feeling for me but the 59 roundback is the most comfortable over an extended time.

The Pau Ferro is super smooth and a joy to play. 

The Bubinga also feels great, but not quite as slick as the pau Ferro.

My next custom neck will deffinetly be a Wenge/Ebony 59 roundback.

Bill

As of a month ago, I finally [EDIT: had her] put her together (I am no craftsman):

Canary Core/GA fingerboard
1 11/16" Width Neck
Full Scallop
22 Frets
GD 6100's
Satin Nitro Dusting (Rep strongly urged raw, but I prefer peace of mind).
Wolfgang Asymmetrical Back Contour
10's (string gauge) not 8's...10's

She is by far my most comfortable guitar and since her creation, 5 or 6 others have now found themselves on the chopping block.
In terms of comfort, I personally reccomend scalloping even though my neck is not entirely "raw". And yes, in the future I will be getting a replacement neck with a full scallop and SS 6100's to go on my Thinline Tele.  :icon_thumright:
'Cept I'll have to request no neck pocket holes cause fender doesn't use 4 bolts...not sure why they wouldn't... ???

I disagree. Rosewood is much nicer than Padauk to my hands.
[/quote]

Rosewood has the best feel to me!
I have two Rosewood/Ebony necks and they are the best feeling necks!!
I also have
Goncalo/BRW,
Padouk/Ebony,
Wenge/Ebony,
Pau Ferro/Ebony
and had bloodwood/ebony
I played on Luke's Canary/Ziricote and Bubinga/Ebony necks multiple times

the pau ferro one is my least favorite one.. (while it is still muuuuch better than a finished neck!)

you can't really go wrong on any of those.. just don't combine a "bright" neckwood with a "bright" body wood and bright /hot pickups.. I did that once, thinking that wood doesn't really make that much of a difference anyway... I was very wrong!

the best sounding one was the bloodwood/ebony neck! a full fat sustaining tone!!

Well I ended up changing my plan a little bit.  I fell in love with a showcase body that didn't have a carved top, contoured heel and wasn't butterscotch.  Who new?  It is a tele body with a zebrawood top and Makore back with a masked binding.  Here is the beauty herself.

pt2752c.jpg

I am matching that with this Wenge and Ebony neck.

tn4872a.jpg

I decided because of the neck that darker hardware might look better.  I am going with a black Wilkonson compensated bridge with a brass 3 saddle, black schaller locking tuners, black knobs and black pickup plates.  I am going with GFS lil Puncher pickups.  Where I play the most can have really bad feedback problems so having noiseless pickups is important.  My other guitar with SD phat cat p90's sometimes has to stay only in the middle hum canceling position or it instantly starts a feedback squeal.  the neck plate is a custom chrome dangerous plate and I went with chrome ferules to match that on the back.

:blob7:          :hello2:        :headbang:

:icon_thumright:  ........  Yummie Yum Yum

That is a very stylish guitar.  The kind of style that never goes out of style.  I recently did the very fine sandpaper treatment to one of my Wenge necks, and I'd suggest it.  I went to 1500 because that is what I have.  Whoa, it is fun.  I have one other Wenge neck I have not gotten to with the sand paper, and the comparison is, wow, it is nowhere near as nice.

You seem to know what you want with the pickups.  The nice thing about GFS is the price makes it so you don't feel bad about changing them out at a later time, you just don't have to invest much in them.  I like Roadhouse pickups, mainly because they sound good, and I can't seem to stick with normal.  I like to try some crazy idea I have, and Ken helps fuel the fire.

But, overall, it is a beauty.  You can always build another butterscotch blonde guitar later.
Patrick

That is actually pretty much why I went with GFS.  I am not sure what will sound good with this guitar.  I can play with these pickups for a while to see where I think the tone should go.  Maybe they will be perfect, maybe not.  If not I can swap them out guilt free.

There is nothing wrong with the wood. Your hands on the other hand ... hey wait!  ...  :icon_scratch: :icon_jokercolor:

Danuda said:
Well I ended up changing my plan a little bit.  I fell in love with a showcase body that didn't have a carved top, contoured heel and wasn't butterscotch.  Who new?  It is a tele body with a zebrawood top and Makore back with a masked binding.  Here is the beauty herself.

pt2752c.jpg

I am matching that with this Wenge and Ebony neck.

tn4872a.jpg

I decided because of the neck that darker hardware might look better.  I am going with a black Wilkonson compensated bridge with a brass 3 saddle, black schaller locking tuners, black knobs and black pickup plates.  I am going with GFS lil Puncher pickups.  Where I play the most can have really bad feedback problems so having noiseless pickups is important.  My other guitar with SD phat cat p90's sometimes has to stay only in the middle hum canceling position or it instantly starts a feedback squeal.  the neck plate is a custom chrome dangerous plate and I went with chrome ferules to match that on the back.

Hell yeah; now if only it had a scalloped neck: http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=19704.0

Back