BYOC Classic Overdrive - TS808 Clone

Timmsie95

So for Christmas, my father bought me a new multi-wattage soldering iron, and that sparked the idea to try to build my own pedal! so I came across a company that many of you probably know, called "Build Your Own Clone" ( www.buildyourownclone.com ). They have a wide variety of pedal kits, with printed PCB's, predrilled enclosures, and all the components needed to wire up your own pedal clone. So I found the "Classic Overdrive", which is a TS808 clone, with an original JRC4558D chip. Throughout the build, I came across a few headaches, mainly because of a stupid mistake, but it's finally done, it sounds amazing, and heres a few pics of it throughout the build!

Here's the PCB, with a few of the resistors and the diodes in place. So far, so good!
2016_01_10_13_31_55.jpg

And here's the PCB with all of the components in, except for the potentiometers, and the switch is not yet installed. (I later discovered the problems I was having was due to some solder that was bridging across the terminals of the capacitor just below the IC socket)
2016_01_10_13_30_59.jpg

Here it is next to the bare enclosure - sorry, but I didn't take any pics of the internals after I installed the pots and everything.
2016_01_10_13_31_27.jpg

This was after three or four coats of a metallic red Ford auto paint, still wet.
2016_01_10_13_30_33.jpg

And this is three or four coats of a metallic black GM auto paint for the bottom.
2016_01_10_13_29_39.jpg

Then, I did a black fade from the top, using the same metallic black. Starting to look fancy!
2016_01_13_18_40_19.jpg

Then, (with the help of my dad, who is a wizard with a paint brush, painted lettering in a metallic silver, to look like the words were scratched in. Next we did three coats of a heavy duty matte clear coat, designed for wheels, so I can stomp the thing as much as I want without chipping the paint.
2016_01_13_17_11_03.jpg

2016_01_13_18_41_10.jpg

And now, fast forward a week and a half, and exactly 5.3 headaches later... The finished product!
2016_01_24_13_23_35.jpg

2016_01_24_13_24_41.jpg

2016_01_24_13_25_40.jpg

This beast sounds even better than it looks, and I couldn't be happier. I highly recommend buying one of their kits, if you have steady hands and patience! They come with easy to follow instructions, with graphics to show you exactly where you should be soldering.

Happy building, everyone!

That looks killer! I love the BYOC stuff, I had a FET preamp and the OD/boost pedal which I tried modding since I'm not really a tube screamer kinda guy.

I've had the itch again so I ordered some PCBs to build some pedals for friends (my board is full so at least this way I can scratch the itch and feel like a decent friend, hahah).

That looks very cool! Kudos to you for putting it together (and to your dad, for the impetus).

That may be my next frontier.  My two Warmoth builds have been tweaked and refined to the point that my guitar jones is satisfied and I've got two crazy-great instruments.  I've also gotten to the point where my two-year pedal journey is nearly over because I'm so pleased with my board and any pedals I buy are just for curiosity sake.
So what next?  I've gotten semi proficient with a soldering iron, so I guess I'll buy a kit and some bandages.  What should I start with??

This was my first kit, and it was fairly simple, but theu do have easier circuits like gain bost, that are pretty easy.
Check out their site! Theres tons of kits you could do. (I don't reccomend starting with a multiband compressor...  :laughing7: )

Back