Building a Tele

Circadian

Received my new tele body on Friday! She's going to be a beauty!  :headbanging:

The neck should arrive tomorrow, so I'll post an update when that arrives. Cheers!

Attachments

• 20190315_171249.jpg
    20190315_171249.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 342
That's a beautiful finish. Are you going to put a pickguard on it or just a pickup ring on the neck PU?

Rgand said:
Are you going to put a pickguard on it or just a pickup ring on the neck PU?

I'm going to put a black pickguard on it--though it's almost a crime to cover any of Warmoth's beautiful finishes. I'm going with a tapped qtr pounder in the bridge and a vintage str-1 in the neck wired into a 5 position switch. Also going with a 6 saddle bridge for intonation.

I received the neck this evening and I can't wait to get it onto the body. It's a showcase tele neck, all maple w/ stainless steel frets, a wizard profile, and satin finish.

Pics coming soon!

Street Avenger said:
How do you tap a Quarter Pound pickup?

Factory option from SD. If I remember right, it's a $20 upcharge at it lets you switch between 16K and 11.5K(?).

Street Avenger said:
How do you tap a Quarter Pound pickup?

The STL-3 Qtr Pounders have the option to be purchased "tapped" for two different output levels. The pickup's coil has an additional wire taken mid-winding and gives you the ability to select the pickup's full output or the lower, "tapped" output. Basically, you get hot and vintage all-in-one pickup.

I have a Duncan Quarter Pound bridge pup with the tap, and it's the bee's knees.  I kept it when I parted out my black tele, and I aim to reuse it when I build another in the next couple months. 

When tapped, it's a standard-output tele pickup, great twang, pretty solid offering.  Full strength it's a real fire-breathing monster.  I wired the tap on a mini-switch between the tone and volume knobs on the tele plate.  I also wired it in on a 4-way switch with a HB-shaped P90 and positions 2 and 3 were parallel and series.  The series position with the QP on full blast was a great way to beat up the front end of the amp.  Thick, chewy goodness.

Circadian said:
Rgand said:
Are you going to put a pickguard on it or just a pickup ring on the neck PU?

I'm going to put a black pickguard on it--though it's almost a crime to cover any of Warmoth's beautiful finishes. I'm going with a tapped qtr pounder in the bridge and a vintage str-1 in the neck wired into a 5 position switch. Also going with a 6 saddle bridge for intonation.

I received the neck this evening and I can't wait to get it onto the body. It's a showcase tele neck, all maple w/ stainless steel frets, a wizard profile, and satin finish.

Pics coming soon!
Thanks, I was curious. This would look good either way. Black will look good on it.

The tapped quarter pounder is new to me, too. It sounds cool as can be.

The body color is fantastic, and I'm think'n that neck is gonna be a perfect match for it! Nice choices....

Back