Budget Bluz Ampz

neilium said:
CB,
If you hack an MC-30 into a guitar amp, I'd hunt you down and poke you in the eye.

Its already been done actually... works great.  Mine needs a new cap - I've got it here, just not put it in yet.  It needs some minor cleanup too... not too bad.  It works as is, but ya know.. TLC things because its old.

It has a line level input, but also has a "volume" control.  With that on max you can run guitar into it, and its pretty nice.  You always need to turn it down for line level anyway.

What's that thing, a hifi of some sort?    :icon_scratch:  You got to explain these things to those of us born after the transistor was invented ;)

Yup, you could run HiFi mono - as stereo wasn't yet invented.  Or later, use two of them for "stereophonic reproduction".

To me, stereophonic reproduction was two blonds.... but I digress.

Speaking of which, this was the sort of apparatus you talk about when you told those blonds... "Hey babes, wanna come over and see my HiFi ?  The requisites also included a red paisley silk smoking jacket, sultan pants, leopard fez, flame top creepers, and dark glasses..... add some tiki lamps, some monkey carvings, bongos in the corner... and some chrome accents and incense... and the mood was AOK for lift off....

Those were the days.

The MacIntosh MC-30 is a highly regarded tube hifi amp. BTW, last time I checked, audiophiles in Japan, Taiwan, and Singapore pay top dollar for McIntosh, Marantz, and Western Electric/Altec. There's a huge cult for vintage American hifi overseas.

Me, I'll stick with my Quad pre and diy 6L6 stereo amp.

The transistor doesn't get enough love around here.

Power_Transistor.jpg

Well they don't sound as good as tubes but you gotta give them their due.  Easily the most important invention of the 20th century.  That power transistor is not that exciting but in this form:

482021562wssip4.jpg

the transistor is one of the most powerful things in the world.  That's an IBM power6 chip, by the way.  Remember Deep Blue, the chess supercomputer?  This chip is faster than two Deep Blues, and it's about the size of a quarter.

neilium said:
The MacIntosh MC-30 is a highly regarded tube hifi amp. BTW, last time I checked, audiophiles in Japan, Taiwan, and Singapore pay top dollar for McIntosh, Marantz, and Western Electric/Altec. There's a huge cult for vintage American hifi overseas.

Me, I'll stick with my Quad pre and diy 6L6 stereo amp.

i'm in japan now and you there is a hifi store in hachenohe, it is littered with MacIntosh stuff and i didn't see anything under 1,000,000 yen. right now a yen is worth slightly more than a penny for the first time i know of. so yea, it gets top dolar here.

DiMitriR33 said:
i'm in japan now and you there is a hifi store in hachenohe, it is littered with MacIntosh stuff and i didn't see anything under 1,000,000 yen. right now a yen is worth slightly more than a penny for the first time i know of. so yea, it gets top dolar here.

$10,342! There's precious little Mac and Marantz left in America. With the new wave of Chinese millionaires, it's not hard to guess where that stuff is heading.

Dimitri, did you see any Quad or Leak stuff? I wonder if the UK stuff is as popular there.

i don't remember, i went to the store about a year ago and haven't been back.

i need to run to hach some time this week so i'll let you know

Sorta workin now... but... thought I'd update:

RCA scholastic "Hi-Fidelity" record player landed.

It works!~

Already pulled the drive - and cranked er up.  Hum present, but the input works, volume and tone work.  The hum, no doubt, is the ancient can cap in there... easy enough to replace.  Tube complement is weird, but hey thats the fun of it.

thats all for now

The circuit is.... as simple as it gets.

The All American Five (minus 2!!!)

This is the poorest of poor man amps - which should make it great for guitar.

We have a 12AV6 - basically half a 12AX7 type tube, probably different mu
We have a 35W4 - a rectifier with a 35v heater
We have a 50C5 - a beam power tube

The single triode acts as preamp, the rectifier is... what it is, and the 50C5 is a single ended power tube.

The interesting fact - 50, plus 35, plus 12... all add to 97... volts that is.  They wire em all up in series, and voila, no power transformer needed.  Bad thing is... you can plug em in "reversed" and have a real pita of a shock (yes you're right, the non-PT amps do that!~).  The solution for guitar is easy and not expensive.  About $23 buys you a 1:1 isolation transformer.  Use that to isolate from wall main power and you got it done... and totally save.  Should really add a cap in there too just for hum reduction.

This thing should put out about 5-6 watts when all done and recapped.

Back