Budget '51 Fretless Slab completed (1st time DIY finish)

Day-mun

Built with screamin' deals unfinished parts, this was my first DYI finish project.

The standard thin contoured maple/rosewood fretless Jazz neck has satin poly sprayed on after getting sanded to 320. I knocked down the edges of the headstock and gave 'em a bit more of a radius. 0000 steal wool'd about every third or fourth coat (something like 10 to 12 coats total; I was laying on really super-thin), then just polished the top coat with cotton cloth (a.k.a. old t-shirt) to leave it velvety and fast!

The '51 slab alder body was gonna get stained with a conventional stain, which I thought I could get away with since I had the miracle-in-a-can pre-stain wood conditioner (from Minwax), which didn't do #*%@ about alder not taking stain for nothin'... but did a pretty good job at washing off/out the stain that was pouring into the end-grain, yet rolling off the sides like water on a duck's back. Whew! That was close! That same conditioner became the solvent base for a home-made stain made with iodine and IPA (rubbing alcohol minus the water). Got that idea from a youtube video my son showed me of a guy doing "Soviet Red" on the stock and handguard of an old AK-47. As ya can see, mine didn't turn out nearly as close to garnet as those old rifle's furniture sets, but at least I made the body a distinctly different color from the neck. Umm-teen coats of semi-gloss poly, also 0000 steal-wool'd and polished just as the neck.

The pickguard was ordered later when the color started to take, and the finish started to build up. I wasn't gonna do a pickguard, but I noticed a fairly deep scratch (maybe the reason it was in screamin' deals?) on the front that would be obscured if a pg was affixed. The red pearl showed up a little more flashy than what this project could take, so I buzzed the white bevel off the edge, then sanded/polished the now rounded (nearly squared) edge to a smooth new finish. The face of the guard got dulled down with light swirling with 0000 and buffed with a coarser shop-cloth type material to match the sheen of the rest of the instrument.

The rest is pretty standard stuff; Schaller tuners, Gotoh bridge, SD quarter-pound '51 SC and Ernie Ball group I  nickel flat-wounds. 

Attachments

• DSCN1626.JPG
    145.9 KB · Views: 957
  • DSCN1623.JPG
    157.7 KB · Views: 675
  • DSCN1625.JPG
    161 KB · Views: 641
I have been playing bass since 1972 and guitar near as long, and though Phil Lesh's Alembic knob-display device has had profound and confusing effects on my guitars, I can't for the life of me figure out why a bass needs more than a pickup and two knobs. And even one fret is one too many.

WHOMP WHOMP WHOMP WHOMP WHOMP WHOMP WHOMP WHOMP WHOMP WHOMP WHOMP WHOMP WHOMP WHOMP WHOMP WHOMP WHOMP WHOMP WHOMP WHOMP WHOMP WHOMP WHOMP WHOMP....

And so forth.... :hello2:

I'm touched, guys! Thank you for all the positive feed-back! Definitely lends to my desires to try the DIY finish thing again... and soon! -But I know I couldn't have done it without all your help and shared insight, so...

...What are your thoughts on finishing Black Korina? :laughing7:

If it's "black" Korina with all the whack orange stripes and crawly elongated spider cells, CLEAR CLEAR CLEAR. Or the brown/black edges -> clear middle "burst", but just bitty edges - 1.5" max.

Pretty sad how I just barely get pics of one finished posted, and I'm already having pipe-dreams about the next one, but...

I thought CLEAR on BK was a fore-gone conclusion! I'm just dreaming at this point, but was wondering  a bit about oil finishes, shellac, etc. -imagining a real earthy/minimal/natural finish on BK... -Good idea?

Day-mun said:
I thought CLEAR on BK was a fore-gone conclusion! I'm just dreaming at this point, but was wondering  a bit about oil finishes, shellac, etc. -imagining a real earthy/minimal/natural finish on BK... -Good idea?
Just to give ya some extra GAS  :laughing7:

Here's my BK finished in Transparent Yellow ...  http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=19843.0
(clear would have highlighted the red strips more)

Here's swarfrats BK finished in tru-oil ..  http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=18629.0
(love this finish, got a real earthy look)  :icon_thumright:

Updown said:
Just to give ya some extra GAS  :laughing7:

Here's my BK finished in Transparent Yellow ...  http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=19843.0
(clear would have highlighted the red strips more)

Here's swarfrats BK finished in tru-oil ..  http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=18629.0
(love this finish, got a real earthy look)  :icon_thumright:

:help:
-Oh, dear lord, -please help me! That wasn't GAS, that's pure octane! Your BK is a double-winner with that bocote neck! That was exactly what I was thinking, too: a no-finish-required type neck on clear-finished BK!

-That's it; what ever "it" is, the next build will be like that!!!

Back