Bridge seymour duncan to pair with a 59 in the neck.

Zhaezzy

OK I bought a guitar plays great and sounds really good equipped with a JB in the bridge and a 59 in the neck. I am not enamored with the JB I think it lacks the brightness as a bridge pickup and want something brighter more twangy to match up with the 59.

I think in my PRS I put a '59 and a Custom Custom (Possibly a Custom 5) and it worked pretty well for me.  The Custom Custom looks like it's got plenty of highs and mids, if their little tone charts are anything to go by.

I like the sh-6b, but I found that the twang comes more from how I play, than the pups.  When I play anything with a twang, a try to have a snap to the picking.

WEll thanks for all the input I went with the pearly gates after watching a few demos and your input overall and a simple punt in teh end. should be getting it this weekend or so.

Zhaezzy said:
WEll thanks for all the input I went with the pearly gates after watching a few demos and your input overall and a simple punt in teh end. should be getting it this weekend or so.

Let us know what you think when you have it.

Got it installed and I really like it. Bright almost twangy and gets some great harmonics and blends well with the neck pickup for a full sound. At first I was a dumbass and got it installed and was it sounded dead and dull was worried it was a mistake then I rolled off the tone knob which I had cranked and it was just what I wanted. Not a metal players pickup but great for the vintage prog tones I was looking for like older Yes and others, good stuff.  :guitarplayer2:

Great, glad you like it.

Not sure I got the idea of the pickup being dull with the tone up full and then coming to life (presumably brighter) when rolling the knob down. Is it wired normally?

stratamania said:
Great, glad you like it.

Not sure I got the idea of the pickup being dull with the tone up full and then coming to life (presumably brighter) when rolling the knob down. Is it wired normally?

I scratched my head at that too. See:
:icon_scratch:

Regardless, glad you found a combo that you like!

Could it be understood this way ... by turning the treble knob up, it is turning itself off, so that at 10 it is wide open and doing nothing?  Essentially off?

Rick said:
Could it be understood this way ... by turning the treble knob up, it is turning itself off, so that at 10 it is wide open and doing nothing?  Essentially off?

That would be having the full effect of being turned to 0 happening when it is on 10 and essentially the opposite of wide open.

Which is why I wondered if the wiring was done as one would normally expect.

I'm a fan of the Duncan Hybrid. I made my own years ago, but now they sell them. I think it's a great match for the 59. It's in between the 59 and the Custom 5.

Gary D. said:
I'm a fan of the Duncan Hybrid. I made my own years ago, but now they sell them. I think it's a great match for the 59. It's in between the 59 and the Custom 5.

That's (59/Hybrid) exactly what i'm running. It's a great combo and i'm always surprised that more people don't like it.

Bikertrash2001 said:
So have you got a JB to sell now?  :laughing7: I personally like those a lot. I have 2 JB loaded guitars.
No I want to keep it in case I want to return the guitar to stock for sale in the future. Never hurts to ask.

Back