Bridge Placement for a Warmoth 24.75" Conversion Neck?

ABlackOrchid

Hi.

I'm building a guitar body from scratch (my own shape).  I have a Warmoth 24.75" conversion Explorer neck that I plan to put on it. 

Do I need to place the bridge at a distance for a 24.75" scale length or 25.5" scale length neck?

The actual measured distance from the neck nut to the 12th fret is 12.375".  It would seem like the bridge would need to be positioned this distance (12.375") from the 12th fret, instead of the 12.75" distance (which is the normal distance for a 25.5" scale neck).

I guess I don't understand the physics on this one.

Thanks for any help!
Allen

ABlackOrchid said:
The actual measured distance from the neck nut to the 12th fret is 12.375".  It would seem like the bridge would need to be positioned this distance (12.375") from the 12th fret, instead of the 12.75" distance (which is the normal distance for a 25.5" scale neck).

You answered your own question right here.  Yes, the bridge would have to be 12.375" from the 12th fret.

The high E string saddle should be adjusted out to its greatest length (away from the back of the bridge) and where the string crosses over THAT should be 12.375" from the 12th fret. The strings are going to bend sharp as they're pressed down to the fretboard, which is why the bridge saddles need to adjust backwards away from the nut, to lengthen the string to compensate for the sharping.

On a practical basis, the high E is going to end up about 1/16" longer than 24.75", and the lowest string will end up about 1/4" longer, but most all modern bridges have enough compensation to account for that as long as you get the high E string placement right.

The reason it's a "Conversion" neck is that it mounts in a neck pocket intended for 25.5" scale necks. Both 24.75" conversion and 28.575" baritone necks are built to this bridge/neck pocket distance.

The 7/8 scale 24.75" necks are spaced the same as for 24" scale jaguar/mustang necks.

Back