Bridge Pickup Help: DiMarzio Fast Track 2 or Seymour Duncan Hot Rails?

Hello, everyone, this is my first post. I'm going to build a custom Warmoth Strat very soon when my tax return arrives :). I'll be getting a solid korina wood body with a flame maple top in cherry burst. I have always loved the sound of Jeff Buckley's Telecaster and I wanted to up the ante with a Strat. I'm sure that extra pickup won't be much of a bother. I know to expect some tone difference because of the difference in wood, but I was wondering as to what would be a closer sound to his. I always loved the sound of his Tele while played in the bridge. He used a Duncan Hot Lead Stack in the bridge and a stock pickup in the neck.

From what I could gather the Duncan Hot Rails is the closest approximation for a Strat, but I'm pretty set on getting DiMarzio Fast Track 1's in the neck and middle positions after listening to that McKenzie guy and his korina Warmoth on Youtube. I wouldn't mind getting Fast Track 1 and 2's, but I was wondering how well the Duncan Hot Rails would sound paired with DiMarzio Fast Track 1's. I do love the sound of the Duncan Hot Rails and the Fast Track 1's, but I'm concerned as to how well they would sound paired. I'm not adverse to not being able to use both at the same time, but I'd like some outside input into this matter. Thanks everyone!

I would say your best bet is to simply get your Strat routed for a Tele bridge pickup and put the STK-T2b in there. It'll go along fine with the two DMZs.

Thanks for the advice guys! So I can't just fit a Tele bridge pickup into a pickguard or Strat rout, huh? I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with the idea. I do go to a great guitar shop here in Philly (DiPinto) that has done wonderful work with my friends' and my guitars and I know they can do virtually anything, but the only qualm I have with that is the possibility of switching out the bridge pickup in the future. I will consider it. From your experiences though, what would you all say? The Hot Rails or the Fast Track 1's? I never put much thought into these things before because I always bought a guitar on how it felt and sounded (with whatever came stock). I'm looking to make this my main all-around guitar because for recording I have the harder stuff and the jingly-jangly stuff covered (Gibson S.G. and Rick 360). I have just been noticing and realizing more and more that many of the artists I love use(d) Fenders. I play a big mix of music, but my main style's in the vein of The Smiths, Jeff Buckley, Elliott Smith, The Strokes, and The Yeah Yeah Yeahs to name a few. Having said that, which would you suggest between the two?

Thank you for all of the help and Great Ape, great, great, guitar. Yours was one of the first I was jealous of when I looked into the Guitar Of The Month thread!

If you've got a good shop on tap, they should know about putting a plate underneath a Strat bridge pickup to nudge it closer. There are other things about a Telecaster's sound that has to do with that big bridge plate, and the brass saddles, no trem, etc. I just googled "strat pickup plate telecaster" and all this came up, apparently Lindy Fralin's got one all ready to go. The plate does something to the "eddy currents" about which I know nothing. I do know amps matter, a lot...

https://www.google.com/#q=strat+pickup+with+plate+telecaster

If you have the body routed for a Tele bridge pickup, then later decide you want to go back to a regular Strat bridge pickup, you only need a new pickguard. The Strat pickup will fit fine.

Rio Grande's "Stelly" pickup is a Strat-form-factor Tele pickup, complete with baseplate - might be worth a look if you want to go that route.

Duncan make the Twang Banger too, but actually, the Hot Lead Stack doesn't really sound that much like a classic Tele bridge pickup anyway. So, if it really has to be Strat form factor, then yeah maybe the Hot Rails is good, but why not just go with the direct Strat equivalent of the STK-T2b? It's the STK-S2 and it looks like this:

STK-S2.jpg

Thank you everyone for all of the input. I'll definitely take a look into all of your suggestions. I'll be posting my guitar in the next couple of months hopefully! I'm sure I'll be posting in other sub-forums as I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions to ask.

RunFromThisCity said:
...So I can't just fit a Tele bridge pickup into a pickguard or Strat rout, huh...

You can fit any pickup you want in a strat pickguard and if you don't like it you can change the pickguard and put other pickups. You just need to rout it for the type of pickup you want. Either you or order a custom pickguard. You will find many pickguard companies online that do custom work. Check this thread for pics http://www.tdpri.com/forum/stratocaster-discussion-forum/363481-tele-bridge-pickups-strat.html

Back