bridge humbucker split

Sadie-f

My recent build is setup with a freeway 10-way switch. The combinations are great however two parts of the design makes little sense to me, so I'm asking for y'all's thoughts.

1. The freeway only uses the bridge in humbucking mode in the bridge-only position. 2. when split, the switch selects the north pole (slug side, no screws, farther from bridge. -- diagram below

1. I'd mostly rather be combining the bridge with other positions in HB mode, not split mode.

2 when split, it seems to me the south / pole-screw / closer to bridge position is the one I'd rather be hearing. (I have adjusted to get even response from all strings, the N / slug position is pretty weak on strings 1 & 6)

I'm thinking to add switches to address one or maybe both of these issues. I think it's easy enough to interpose a switch to always present both coils into the switch. exchanging the S for N should also be possible (maybe also needing to change polaity to keep things in phase, I haven't thought through that bit yet.

Am I missing anything here? I've researched and most folks prefer using the S coil for splitting a bridge HB and of course unless adding a split, a normal 5-way switch is connecting the H wiring when selecting M+B in position 2, not a coil-split.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2021-09-23 09-00-47.png
    Screenshot from 2021-09-23 09-00-47.png
    151.6 KB · Views: 128
:evil4:
rick2 said:
Did you try writing to freeway?

Nah, they make it the way they do, they're not going to change the design on request, so I'm content to just work around their design to get what I want.

It is quite normal for a humbucker to split to the slug coil and indeed the Freeway 5B5-01 switch is designed to do that by shunting the series link that joins the north and south coils to ground in certain positions. If you don't want to split the humbucker then just don't join those wires to the CT tab on the Freeway.

Or you could wire the freeway in combination with another switch such as DPDT on on, or a DPDT on , on ,on and then you could have numerous other possibilities.

Or perhaps explore the Freeway 5B5-02 which has some possibilities for HSS or HSH to split to slug or screw coil in certain setups.

Uh .. Not change the design of the switch ... Ask them if they have an alternate wiring diagram.  All it takes is an email and costs you nothing.

stratamania said:
It is quite normal for a humbucker to split to the slug coil and indeed the Freeway 5B5-01 switch is designed to do that by shunting the series link that joins the north and south coils to ground in certain positions. If you don't want to split the humbucker then just don't join those wires to the CT tab on the Freeway.
Simple and obvious, of course I didn't think of it! Thanks, I'll try cutting that lead and if it works, maybe just install an spst.

On which pole to use split, I get there will be more signal on the N side, in research, I see people go both ways. I suppose I'll just have to try it :).
Or you could wire the freeway in combination with another switch such as DPDT on on, or a DPDT on , on ,on and then you could have numerous other possibilities.

Or perhaps explore the Freeway 5B5-02 which has some possibilities for HSS or HSH to split to slug or screw coil in certain setups.

Had I known the difference between the -01, -02, yes, wish I'd gotten the 5B5-02. What happened is I bought from StewMac before I was aware of the 2 options, s/m only carries the one version.

I've worked out the dpdt I would need, will see what results I get from just omitting that CT connection and go from there.

Part of my mental overhead with wiring is I'd always imagined the volume pots were wired in series to reduce signal and I still tend to think that way, even though I know now that the pots actually sink unwanted signal to earth.

Thanks for tips!

The 5B5-02 has not been available for very long and not everyone has had them in stock yet. I am sure that will probably change over time.

rick2 said:
Uh .. Not change the design of the switch ... Ask them if they have an alternate wiring diagram.  All it takes is an email and costs you nothing.

Looking at the wiring diagrams, I'm pretty sure that's a neg,  On the 5b5-02 I see it a wiring option for choosing the S/outer coil  for HSS, so I may switch to that in time. Meantime, I'll manually route wires to try it split that way and see how much difference it makes, worry about that depending on the results.

stratamania said:
If you don't want to split the humbucker then just don't join those wires to the CT tab on the Freeway.

I did that today, all combos sound better (to my taste anyway) as HB than using the split N pole. I'll also test out wiring the bridge S pole split. I'm more than happy enough with how it is RN.

Sadie-f said:
stratamania said:
If you don't want to split the humbucker then just don't join those wires to the CT tab on the Freeway.

I did that today, all combos sound better (to my taste anyway) as HB than using the split N pole. I'll also test out wiring the bridge S pole split. I'm more than happy enough with how it is RN.

Well that is what is important finding some options that work for you. What did you use in conjunction with the Freeway?

stratamania said:
Sadie-f said:
stratamania said:

Well that is what is important finding some options that work for you. What did you use in conjunction with the Freeway?

Right now it's just removal of the CT connection. Because I also have the ghost piezo, and didn't want to power it with a switch in the jack, there's a toggle for that and I'm going to replace that with a 3pdt so when I want to play mags only, they'll be wired str8 to the jack, removing the preamp from the circuit.

I'm pretty sure I can put splits back in the config with a push-push switch + pot I have in hand, I'll get to it in time, it's just not a rush right now.

Sadie-f said:
stratamania said:
Sadie-f said:
stratamania said:

Right now it's just removal of the CT connection. Because I also have the ghost piezo, and didn't want to power it with a switch in the jack, there's a toggle for that and I'm going to replace that with a 3pdt so when I want to play mags only, they'll be wired str8 to the jack, removing the preamp from the circuit.

I'm pretty sure I can put splits back in the config with a push-push switch + pot I have in hand, I'll get to it in time, it's just not a rush right now.

Okay  :icon_thumright:

Sadie, if your wiring diagram is successful, if you could, please post.  When it comes to wiring I'm like a grease monkey rather than a mechanic, I can follow directions, but diagnosing a solution, not so good.

rick2 said:
Sadie, if your wiring diagram is successful, if you could, please post.  When it comes to wiring I'm like a grease monkey rather than a mechanic, I can follow directions, but diagnosing a solution, not so good.

Heh, you're proposing to get design from an inveterate bodger. I'd have tried an unnecessary dpdt where @stratmania offered the correct solution to switching between split&hb with 2 solder joints and an spst.

That said, sure, when I have finalized, glad to post :).

@Rick

Here is a simple way to get either no split, split to coil of choice combined with the Freeway 5B5-01

You need a 3-position on/off/on DPDT switch, wired as this diagram. Or you could also use an on/off/on SPDT.

P-Rails_SplitSeriesSplit.png

Connect your humbucker wires to the switch as the diagram .Connect the hot output to the Freeway for the bridge humbucker as shown on a Freeway diagram and connect the  green and bare terminal of the switch to ground.

This way you are not using the Freeway CT terminal at all but using the separate switch to achieve full humbucker, split to north or south coil.

Switch Diagram courtesy of
https://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/latest-updates/the-p-rails-wiring-bible-part-2

Freeway actually make two different 10 ways an SSS/Hss one and a HsH HHH intended switch with more options

But you can do a lot with a 5 way multi pole with Push pullls or an s1

Edit: was meant to say HsH / HHH
not HsH/HSH******

Archie Macfarlane said:
Freeway actually make two different 10 ways an SSS/Hss one and a HsH HSH intended switch with more options

That is true Freeway also offer a 5B5-02 as mentioned earlier in the thread however it has the same limitations in terms of which coil is active when split as the 5B5-01 has via its CT terminals.

stratamania said:
Archie Macfarlane said:
Freeway actually make two different 10 ways an SSS/Hss one and a HsH HSH intended switch with more options

That is true Freeway also offer a 5B5-02 as mentioned earlier in the thread however it has the same limitations in terms of which coil is active when split as the 5B5-01 has via its CT terminals.

D
Sorry if I'm Hijacking mans thread here but does this mean you can't run a 5B5-02 with HSH as
Bridge Humbucker
inner slug coils
Both Humbuckers
outer screw coils
Neck Humbucker

On one side of the switch?

Archie Macfarlane said:
stratamania said:
Archie Macfarlane said:

D
Sorry if I'm Hijacking mans thread here but does this mean you can't run a 5B5-02 with HSH as
Bridge Humbucker
inner slug coils
Both Humbuckers
outer screw coils
Neck Humbucker

On one side of the switch?

You would need to check the Freeway published diagrams for what the various suggested options are. For the 5B5-02 it does have some options for outer or inner coil however the switches main constraint is that whilst being versatile it relies on internal circuitry and you are only able to connect to its exposed terminals. You cannot change the internals of the switch.

Back