Braveheart's Battleaxe

Chris of Arabia

OK, I guess you've waited long enough - not my best set of pics, but I'm sure you won't mind.

Some details: An LP mahogany body  with a maple top and a 'crushed steel' finish. The bridge/tailpiece and tuners are Gotoh 501, the pickups are a Seymour Duncan Alt8 at the bridge and Jazz at the neck (both tapped with push/push tone pots). The neck is a 24.75" wenge '59 profile with a 10" radius Ipe fingerboard which is fitted with SS6100 frets.

"they may take our amps, but they'll nevar take our LP's" (said in a scottish accent)........Dude that is smoking hot.....

BTW, how  did the "Braveheart" come about for this axe...... oh, and what's the fretboard wood? Looks like ipe, can't really tell for sure...:icon_scratch:

DangerousR6 said:
oh, and what's the fretboard wood? Looks like ipe, can't really tell for sure...:icon_scratch:
Hey Dangerous, you gotta read the text as well, not just look at the pretty pics...  :toothy12:

Chris of Arabia said:
The neck is a 24.75" wenge '59 profile with a 10" radius Ipe fingerboard which is fitted with SS6100 frets.

DangerousR6 said:
BTW, how  did the "Braveheart" come about for this axe......

That was Gregg's doing - Braveheart thread

As for the cost, I'm not exactly sure, but the body was around $800.00 and the neck was around $540.00, plus all the extras. I'm guessing it came in around $2,000.00 by the time shipping to Saudi was factored in.

Chris of Arabia said:
As for the cost, I'm not exactly sure, but the body was around $800.00 and the neck was around $540.00, plus all the extras. I'm guessing it came in around $2,000.00 by the time shipping to Saudi was factored in.

What 'Extras' costed about $500- 400?

The guitar looks unique for sure but I was expecting binding or trapezoids or both! Congratulations though for building a different looking guitar, the headstock looks amazing :icon_thumright:  I'm curious how that body looks from close.

Can you achieve low action with the tune o matic and 10'' inch radius? That's exactly what I want for my LP although with SS6105 frets.
I dig the push/push knobs, I prefer them from push/pull. You have a link of the store you bought em?

Well I've not played it much yet, but I don't tend to go for an ultra-low set up anyway. So far it seems to work fine. The TOM should have a radius of around 12", finger board is 10" - playing it, you'd struggle to notice the difference.

The push/push pots came from Warmoth along with everything else. As far as costs are concerned - I'll have to check, but shipping to KSA is damned expensive.

Wana_make_a_guitar said:
What 'Extras' costed about $500- 400?

Pick-ups, bridge/tailpiece, tuners, pots, strap buttons, screening, headstock logo, knobs, wiring, orange drops, shipping - it all adds up. I'll find the paperwork later.

wow I'm surprised at how cool that thing is - I didn't really care for the body when I first saw it, but I'm not really good at imagining the finished guitar. So this is much better looking than I expected. Just amazing. :icon_thumright:

I was worried like I was with the Dark Knight that after all the hype the end result might be disappointing, but as with the Dark Knight the end result is nothing short of spectacular. :headbang:

Great build!  :eek:ccasion14: That looks so much better than the Showcase pictures led me to think it would look...

GoDrex said:
wow I'm surprised at how cool that thing is - I didn't really care for the body when I first saw it, but I'm not really good at imagining the finished guitar. So this is much better looking than I expected. Just amazing. :icon_thumright:

I feel the same way.  The more I look at it, the more I like it.

Back