Brainstorming session...

rapfohl09

So, I have decided to give my tools a rest and throw some money and the big W for my next guitar. I have a zillion ideas, and just want some input on what YOUR next project will be/would be.

Just a big old brainstorming session....

My thoughts,
Maybe an extreme body shape? I have never owned one and sometimes think I should...
An L5S, just a sweet jazz box...
A LP, god I want a LP...
Super basic strat, back to the basics?...
A WGD, those are pretty cool...

Hrmm....

Haha a little to crazy for me  :laughing7:

I do keep spending more and more time in the bass section of the site though...

I vote for an L5S simply because there is maybe one built a year that we get to see on the forum.  Plus, they're awesome and I want one. 

hannaugh said:
I vote for an L5S simply because there is maybe one built a year that we get to see on the forum.  Plus, they're awesome and I want one.
I was prepared to type almost exactly this.  Thanks for saving me the trouble!

Mmm. Good question. They've got a carved top LP in the "Screamin' Deals" section right now....

LPCP247A.jpg

I gotta think that would turn into something delicious with a little bit of attention. It's a helluva deal, Warmoth-wise, and I keep staring at it but it's not bound. Still, somebody needs to give that thing some love. Chambered Maple on Mahogany... gloss black finish... what could possibly be wrong with that? I mean, it's the icon all other icons look to for guidance. My problem is I hate Les Pauls with the white-hot heat of a thousand burning suns. But, I also love them. I'm such a wreck.

yeah, I vote LP.

However, while I have looked at the LP Cagey linked multiple times and it is a good deal- I think it have got way too many holes for controls.

rapfohl09 said:
I have a zillion ideas, and just want some input on what YOUR next project will be/would be.
By how I read the OP quote above, he is asking what YOUR next idea / build would be.

But ... you are telling him what to build  :icon_scratch:

:dontknow:  I'm thinking of a SG or may-be a LP ....... but then again I think I just need  :help: 

Updown said:
rapfohl09 said:
I have a zillion ideas, and just want some input on what YOUR next project will be/would be.
By how I read the OP quote above, he is asking what YOUR next idea / build would be.

But ... you are telling him what to build  :icon_scratch:

:dontknow:  I'm thinking of a SG or may-be a LP ....... but then again I think I just need  :help:

No no, its ok haha. The point of this is just to throw ideas around. Whether it be what you would do next, or what I should do next haha.

I am really leaning toward the L5S. Only problem being (not really a problem, other than my wallet haha) is that I want to go ALL OUT when I get one...

I also have 1000000 ideas. And 9 prepped blanks. And too much prepped lumber.

I need to finish some non guitar projects first, but after that...
Many things. But what might inspire: Koa PRS Se one copy, LP jr style, maple ebony neck, minihum. Hollow cocobolo archtop tele 2f hole, maple ebony neck, Charlie Christian. Walnut soloist, zebrawood neck. Wenge tele, bloodwood ebony neck, 3p90. Redwood tele rosewood neck esquire. Cherry Brent mason copy.

So many plans. 

My next will either be a Tele Thinline or a Jaguar, but after those I also really want to do an L5S, an SG, either a VIP or an LPS 12 string, a Les Paul Jr. and a super traditional Strat and LP.  And maybe a Firebird, and maybe an electric nylon string.  It ain't gonna be for a while though.  :sad:

Cagey said:
Mmm. Good question. They've got a carved top LP in the "Screamin' Deals" section right now....

LPCP247A.jpg

I gotta think that would turn into something delicious with a little bit of attention. It's a helluva deal, Warmoth-wise, and I keep staring at it but it's not bound. Still, somebody needs to give that thing some love. Chambered Maple on Mahogany... gloss black finish... what could possibly be wrong with that? I mean, it's the icon all other icons look to for guidance. My problem is I hate Les Pauls with the white-hot heat of a thousand burning suns. But, I also love them. I'm such a wreck.
It's the LP TOM version of the VIP you sold me.
If it had a natural binding I would be all over it
(even if the Finance department forbade me from getting another black guitar)

big bob said:
jmp181a.jpg

+

vmt3471a.jpg

vmt3471b.jpg

Man this is seriously so close to what I am thinking right now....P90s and and tortoise guard....ohhh boy.

What are your guys' thoughts on the JM bridge/tremolo blocked as a hardtail? I know as a tremolo it is worthless, but maybe it's not so bad if it is just used as a hardtail.

You can order that body without the cutout for that poorly-conceived vibrato. Not much point in paying for hardware you're not going to use. Have them drill it for string-through holes, or some kind of wrap-around bridge.

rapfohl09 said:
Man this is seriously so close to what I am thinking right now....P90s and and tortoise guard....ohhh boy.

What are your guys' thoughts on the JM bridge/tremolo blocked as a hardtail? I know as a tremolo it is worthless, but maybe it's not so bad if it is just used as a hardtail.

Yes, yes it is that bad as a hardtail. They didn't figure the breakover angle right, so you have to buy a $40 roller bar to not make it buzz like a swarm of angry bees.

Yeah I kind of came to that conclusion myself.

I originally thought I would just block a jazz trem to save some money by getting a showcase item, then realized that the money I am going to be saving I am just going to be spending on the hardware....Kind of a a$s backwards situation. So I quickly slapped myself in the face and pretended I never thought of it.  :laughing7:

I'm 90% sure it is going to be a JM body. I am slowly talking myself into building the body myself though, and getting a neck from W.

Back