Boxing Day Friggen rocks... apparently.

Volitions Advocate

Definately didn't plan on this sitting in my living room tonight.

It had a sale price of 750 for the head and 330 for the cabinet.. regular prices were 950 and 550.  But right at the front door was a sign that read "All Crate amps and cabinets 50% off"  It was the only one in the store. and I went there last month to play on it.  I've wanted this amp for months and months and I decided last month not to buy it but hope that I could afford it later.

Well I took the whole package home + a speaker cable for less than 750...

n517473612_1264061_7474.jpg

n517473612_1264062_8481.jpg

n517473612_1264060_6385.jpg

This thing sounds amazing by the way. at any volume.  It's Replacing my little crate GX212 in my rig (which i'm not getting rid of ever because its awesome. My wife can use it because shes' learning; a Warmoth is in her near future)
Tomorrow I"ll get this down to the club house and get pictures with it hooked up next to my Rivera. 

Crazy thing is.. my wife was there... and she said go for it.

No I think this is before the flexwave series.  This amp was discontinued last year.  Its a 350W solid state. I needed it to match up with my buddy's Mode Four.
I don't know about the cab though.  It could be from the flexwave line. I"m not sure.  I dont' think its the matching cab.  I've seen them and for this amp they were boring.

anybody know a good place to get castors?

Everywhere I go i can only find the kind that you screw/bolt on.
I need the ones that just fit into the little holes on the bottom.

Volitions Advocate said:
Crazy thing is.. my wife was there... and she said go for it.

This has NEVER happened to me WRT amps.  Guitars yes, amps no. :dontknow:

Well, I guess she figures that if I ever want a new amp I can just build one. :icon_biggrin:

Yeah... how can a SS amp possibly be in the same rig as your beastly Rivera? Ahh! The tube-lore breaks down!  :sad:

I use the Rivera to Push the mids and that lovely growly tube tone.
This'll be more bassey and digitized. less warm . but you put the 2 together and its a Brick.

I"ll see if somehow I can do some sound clips.  You'll see :)

Volitions Advocate said:
No I think this is before the flexwave series.  This amp was discontinued last year.  Its a 350W solid state. I needed it to match up with my buddy's Mode Four.
I don't know about the cab though.  It could be from the flexwave line. I"m not sure.  I dont' think its the matching cab.  I've seen them and for this amp they were boring.
http://www.crateamps.com/products/pindex.php?prodID=308

Thats the cab, a V series.

Justinginn said:
Yeah... how can a SS amp possibly be in the same rig as your beastly Rivera? Ahh! The tube-lore breaks down!  :sad:

Μany guitarists have used (also) SS amps, trust your ears not the hype.
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2185671&page=2

Beatles did; Vox made them. They signed a contract because they needed equipment, and Vox sent them solid state amps when they were new. Might have even be pre-release. IDR.
They had problems, though.

Yeah I was just kidding. I'm usually the guy who's telling everyone not to trust the hype so I decided to be 8 for a couple minutes. Lol.

Well seriously.  If you havent tried both at the same time try it.  If you really push the mids and a bit of the treble through the tube amp, where the guitar is supposed to be, YOu'll get that nicewarm growly sound.  And what Im going to do probably is scoop the crate a bit. not completely dimed, because i'm not a total metal head, and that doesn't sound good anywhere bu tin your bedroom anyway.  But that way you've got either amp filling in the spots the other can't get to.

Sweet amp there VA, I love that head. Played both the Shockwave and the Tidalwave, they're both awesome. They're not as good as the Blue VooDoo's but close enough. And you're right that's not the cab that goes with it...I actually have 3 Crates, got 2 G40c's and a GTX212, but I still want a BV.....Someday... :icon_biggrin:

I have the GX212 and this amp will never break down.  I went with a shockwave instead of a blue voodoo because I dont see the need in having 2 hi wattage tube amps.  I've already got my rivera and I needed a SS to round out the sound.

I wish I had had the chance to try out one of the BV300's before they stopped making them... That would've rocked with 4x4x12

Volitions Advocate said:
I have the GX212 and this amp will never break down.  I went with a shockwave instead of a blue voodoo because I dont see the need in having 2 hi wattage tube amps.  I've already got my rivera and I needed a SS to round out the sound.

I wish I had had the chance to try out one of the BV300's before they stopped making them... That would've rocked with 4x4x12
I'd love to get my mits on a BV300, they pop up from time to tome on ebay...I'll get one, one day... :icon_biggrin:

Damn!  That setup of yours has to be UNGODLY LOUD!!  Where can / do you play that loud?  The Saddledome?

RK

I play with 2 half stacks. how is that ungodly loud?  The comment about the 4 4x12's was a bit of a joke because the Blue Voodoo when it was first released had 2 models. a 150 watt and a 300 watt version.
I think 300 watts is crazy. it had something like 16 power tubes in it.  I'd never own an amp like that but you can't say you woudln't want to try it out.  :evil4:

PS: Calgarian?

Back