Bolt in/on neck?

bamboofrog

Hi all

I am carrying on with my guitar design (very much on paper at the moment) I been toying with the idea of using recessed bolts with threaded inserts to, I hope achieve a better joint and do away with the metal plate, giving better access frets.

Is this a good idea?

I have no idea where to source such things from, a slight snag but I am hoping someone will be able to help me out.

Many thanks

there are several threads here on the topic of threaded inserts. I use them in almost 100% of my custom bass builds

of most inportance is that you utilize hardened steel or stainless inserts designed for use in hardwoods, and that you have the proper woodworking tools to install them accurately. if you don't have access to a drillpress, you will need to either find a resource to install these for you or change your plans about using them in your build. I highly recommend that you do not attempt this kind of installation with a hand drill as you will not have the angular accuracy needed for the machine screws to align properly

all the best,

R

Interesting, novel, unorthodox, maverick, far-seeing....

But why?  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  When it DOES break, the fix is easy enough, so don't sweat it.

As was said - "I've seen mules come and go, but ya cant judge a sweaty cowgirl by just her scent".

Some things never change, and truer words were never uttered (west of the Mississippi).

ahhh - but if you travel extensively and want to ensure you geetar doesn't end up in the belly of the plane as gate checked baggage ... install them thar threaded inserts and be prepared to dismantle, repack, and fold that gig bag into the sizewise constraints

actually, this is rumored to be the original reason that threaded inserts were first installed, and into a tele guitar nonetheless. seems that repeated on/off of the neck (whose Tele I don't immediately recall) eventually wore out the wood where the neck screw were attached ... and it was broke and in need of some fixin'

so there you go CB - them wood screws are a design flaw in need of fixin'  :laughing8:

and now you know the rest of the story,

R

SkuttleFunk said:
actually, this is rumored to be the original reason that threaded inserts were first installed, and into a tele guitar nonetheless. seems that repeated on/off of the neck (whose Tele I don't immediately recall) eventually wore out the wood where the neck screw were attached ... and it was broke and in need of some fixin'

I remember hearing this as well. The player was quite a famous tele guy - Roy Buchanan perhaps? 

I'd remember it if it was Roy (I'm a big RB fan  :blob7: ) ... I seem to recall it was somebody out of Memphis or Muscle Shoals, but don't quote me on it

all the best,

R

Sixty nine garzillion Fender's later and I fail to see the problem.

If the wood strips out - just semi plug it and keep on going.  Takes... moments to do, and you got another 10 years of messin wif thingz before you need to put another toothpick in the hole.

A perpetually renewable mount is not a design flaw, its a FEATURE. ~~ <g>

mayfly said:
SkuttleFunk said:

I remember hearing this as well. The player was quite a famous tele guy - Roy Buchanan perhaps? 

Bill Kirchen is the guy ya'll are thinking of.

those are brass inserts - unless you are a VERY experienced insert installer, you do NOT want to use brass inserts. they crack with the slightest misalignment ... and a cracked insert is REALLY difficult to remove without making a huge mess of your neck

just my very experienced opinion on this. brass inserts are cool for other things, just not for installing into harder woods like is typically used on a neck.

all the best,

R

those stainless inserts will work just fine, but you can find them for a whole lot less elsewhere

for reference, back when I had the shop open I was selling 4 stainless 10-24 inserts and 4 machine screws for $15 shipped within the US.

all the best,

R

SkuttleFunk said:
those stainless inserts will work just fine, but you can find them for a whole lot less elsewhere

for reference, back when I had the shop open I was selling 4 stainless 10-24 inserts and 4 machine screws for $15 shipped within the US.

all the best,

R

any links ?
can't find any

:sign13: ya know ... maybe I should buy another bag of these and offer them for sale here in sets of 4ea inserts  :sign13:

whaddyall think, would you be interested in a set of 4 10-24 hardened steel inserts at $12.95 shipped? you can easily pick up the 10-24 stainless machine screws at your local hardware store, and get the length to suit your specific build needs instead of me providing a screw that might be too long (and necessitating the need for you to cut it) and it would reduce the materials and shipping cost

I would also add a new thread here detailing the needed tools and suggested workflow for installing them. it'd be your responsibility to determine if your neck was a good candidate and also if you had the needed skills to accomplish this kind of install before making the purchase

anyone care to convince me to do this?

all the best,

R

I would hire you WWWWWAAAAAYYYYY before trying to do it myself .  :doh:

Definitely do it, I'd get a set and try them out on my test neck.  If I like them I'll move 'em to one of my Warmoths.

Back