Blue Mahogany Strat

markwayne

This is a recent build. The body was a showcase piece that I got a great deal on. The body is lightweight mahogany with a blue gloss that has really grown on me. The body is very resonant and works well with the Warmoth, one piece birdseye maple neck that I had on another guitar. The body was already drilled for a six hole vintage tailpiece. However, I used a Wilkinson that I had lying around instead. (Hence the four screw holes.) I threw a Gibson '57 classic in at the neck (flipped ala Peter Green) and a Dimarzio Fred at the bridge. The middle pickup  is a Seymour Duncan vintage rails and is blended with the lower "tone"/volume control. Both tonepots are push-pulls one of which splits the bridge pickup and one of which brings the middle pickup online. It's not a flashy guitar, but it sounds very sweet.

blue_mahogany_full.jpg

Wayne

Oh man, that is amazing, I bet it's super tonally versatile! I'm digging the pickup combination, what does the '57 sound like?

metalman22105 said:
Oh man, that is amazing, I bet it's super tonally versatile! I'm digging the pickup combination, what does the '57 sound like?

Very sweet. I have a set of old, genuine PAFs that I pulled out of an early 60's SG almost twenty years ago and the '57 classics compare quite favorably. I really love them in the neck position. They strike a nice balance between girth, warmth and air that works really well in places where many humbuckers get too dark and woolly.

BTW - Gibson says they are wax potted but my experience says not so much. They are a little too shrill and microphonic for the bridge in my opinion. By the way, in case you are looking seriously at these Gibsons, the '57 plus, should really be called the '57 minus in my opinion.

Wayne

Back