Bloodwood Neck

cjs0216

Getting ready to pull the trigger on my first Warmoth Strat build and I decided on going with a bloodwood neck with an ebony fretboard. Is it really alright to leave the bloodwood unfinished? I don't mind doing that if it's going to hold up to every day playing. The body I'm going for is satin, so if I put any finish on the neck, I'd rather it be a more satin type finish, rather than something glossy. I've been recommended BLO, tung oil, and Tru-oil for finishing, but I'm unsure which one will meet my needs. It seems like Tru-oil would be best, using one or two thin coats to keep the color.

Another thing I was wondering is about using Old English on it. I've used it on all my rosewood fretboards for years, because those are unfinished, and I'm wondering if it would be fine to also put it on the back of the neck if I decide to leave it unfinished.

Welcome! I just got a bloodwood neck myself and it's a really beautiful wood. Bloodwood does not need a finish and feels great without one! You could apply a thin oil finish, but I'm not sure why.

Which Old English product are you talking about? I definitely wouldn't use the furniture polish on it as it contains a brown stain. The lemon oil might be ok if applied very lightly.

The only thing I'd really recommend doing to a bloodwood neck is burnishing/polishing with high grit papers like this thread here describes https://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=19901.msg293776#msg293776

You can do what you want with any neck .... but .... neither bloodwood nor ebony for that matter, need a finish.  I guarantee Warmoth wouldn't sell it without a finish if there was a problem; it would make no economic sense otherwise.  Take that to the bank and don't look back.

ragamuffin said:
Which Old English product are you talking about? I definitely wouldn't use the furniture polish on it as it contains a brown stain. The lemon oil might be ok if applied very lightly.

Yeah. I’m just using the same old English lemon stuff that I use on my fret boards. Thanks for the reply and I’ll definitely look into the burnish/polishing you mentioned.

I've got a bloodwood neck with an ebony fretboard.
The neck was so slick when it arrived from Warmoth that there wasn't any need to burnish it.
I have never felt the need to add oil or anything to it either because that would be like putting oil to glass. I guess you could but why would you?

03d.jpg_m.jpg

Back