Black Korina Tele build ongoing...

I like the Damascus steel comparison - it really does look like it, even down to the slightly recessed softer "veins". Since the scallop is getting a lot of attention, here's a pic that shows it from another angle. Also, doing 14 fret bends on the b up three full steps feels pretty easy with this scalloping. I am running 9s on this, so that's an 11 string, but without scallops, I usually get uncomfortable (nail pulling back off finger a little too hard) between 1.5 and 2 steps...

DSC02486.JPG

swarfrat: i think you can only have regular black or creme dots if you go with scalloping (or none at all)

I thought any markings would be over the top considering three types of wood with strong coloration/marking. I do like that dot pattern, but I didn't want it to get gaudy...

Just an overall awesome build! I've got a plan for a Black Korina tele that i've been cooking up. How does it sound?

I dont know.....you've seen one incredible bad-ass looking tele with a fretboard thats so hot it can melt the polar ice cap, you've seen 'em all.

Great build  :icon_thumright:

The body is gorgeous, was it a showcase item or custom order? Didn't realise black laminate between the korina cap and back was an option!

stefan said:
The body is gorgeous, was it a showcase item or custom order? Didn't realise black laminate between the korina cap and back was an option!
Yep, looks classy too!
Here's the W link:
http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Bodies/Options/BindingOptionsPop.aspx
Pinstripe Accent Line $20.00
The pinstripe is simply a contrasting color sandwiched between the top wood and the body wood. The stripe is about 0.030" thick. We offer a black stripe made of a fiber, or a white stripe which is made of maple. This is not available on Chambered or Thinline bodies.

Can I see the backside? >> Not yet. I'm waiting on my black neck plate screws to match all the other appointments, then I'm going to do a proper photo shoot with a DSLR because these pics don't even come close to doing justice. Think of it as her Brazilian wax appointment - worth waiting for  :icon_biggrin:

How does it sound? >> Amazing, and unique. Those pups are very flexible in that they are triple coils (side-by-side, stacked buckers) with separate preamps for each config, on push/pulls. They don't have any vintage tele character, but will do Strat to SG to LTD/Jackson to LesPaul sounds and other weirdness too. The trem takes out a little sustain compared to my boat-necked hard tail traditional tele, but it still rings for a long time. I'm not a big believer in tone woods effect on electrics, but the feel of vibration in the neck is more pronounced than my maple boatneck (also Warmoth). I can post sound samples soon.

Showcase or custom? >> All custom, and unique choice on the top and fretboard.

Racing Stripe>> One benefit to this on a back route is that it reinforces the control cavity a lot. It also looks really cool...

Thanks again for the kind comments.

Back