Black Friday lives up to its name.

nathan a said:
Greed is disgusting.
It really is. I think some of these people don't understand that even if you buy something on sale, you spend money. You're not saving anything.

I think some of these people don't understand that even if you buy something on sale, you spend money. You're not saving anything.
[/quote]

You just stumbled upon the definition of the word sale :tard: (it's a transaction.)

The sad thing is that even the death of someone due to the craziness of Black Friday will not end it. The stores are going to continue to hype things up and the evil ring of fire continues. I just think that is sad and sickening that someone would rather save $15 on Guitar Hero than to help out a fellow human in need. Also, many of the people who attend Black Friday openings are moms. What kind of example does that show for your children?  I just became a father earlier this week, and I'm going to make sure that she is taught the lessons I learned about actually showing some consideration for others and to aid help in need.

I'm just glad my family never has to go through the mad-camped rush to get in line first thing in the morning to get me what I want for Christmas. I pretty much ask for the same thing each year:  socks, undies, a couple of blister packs of picks, a few sets of Ernies in the gauge I like, and a case or two of beer. And if Santa puts a couple of cigars in my stocking, I'm all for that as well.

Actually, if there ever was such a fix to end Black Friday, I just found it. One of my fraternity brothers is from Toronto, and always told me that Canada holds Thanksgiving the second Monday of October.

Sounds like WalMart did nothing to ensure the safe entry of persons into the building. They seemed to have unlatched the doors and let all hell broke loose.

If they hadn't planned on such a crowd they should have got the cops to come in - before the doors opened - to address the gathered crowd and ensure some civility on entry. Even have the cops disperse the crowd and call off the sale if the crowd was not looking friendly.

If WalMart had any common sense they would have given people numbered cards in order of arrival, and once a magic number (say 250) was reached, send any other arrival home for safety reasons.

Or before the doors opened, have some security brought in to talk to the crowd, sort out a cue, put barriers in place to stagger the approach into the store etc.

Heck, any system of crowd control would have been a lot better than what seem to have happened.

The people who rushed past the injured man and those who stomped on him to get into the store, should at least be questioned by Police. A lot of them could be easily identified by security footage of who hit the guy as he was on the ground, and then whether they used a chargecard or credit card for later purchases as a means of identifying them. Even if they were only questioned, they'd soon realise they are close to being charged with manslaughter.

Crowd mentality is a real powder keg. If not properly controlled it will explode. I have had enough experience standing in front of hundreds of people to know you cannot be slack and assume they won't surge forward. You really have to engage people, give clear and direct instructions, make sure people have enough room to move a bit (and breath).

Condolences to the deceased's family. It is not expected that when you work for WalMart that you would end up dying on the job. Police, Military people, they accept that sort of risk, but not a retail shop employee. If there has been any sort of negligence or ignorance of proper safety diligence, I hope the money the deceased's family ends up winning will somehow enable them to get on with their lives after this tragedy.

Graffiti62 said:
Actually, if there ever was such a fix to end Black Friday, I just found it. One of my fraternity brothers is from Toronto, and always told me that Canada holds Thanksgiving the second Monday of October.
They do have it in October, but this Canadian I chat with a lot says a lot of stores still have the "black friday" sales today.

OzziePete said:
Sounds like WalMart did nothing to ensure the safe entry of persons into the building.

One might argue, that by having only one greeter try to hold back 100's of people, rather than using dogs, mace, clubs, the Hells Angels, or some old woman that looks like a cross between Janet "knuckledragger" Reno and Magdalene "three bags" Albright, they in fact did provide fairly safe passage for "the customers" to enter the store.

If all this sounds insensitive, it is, but only to the point that the guy should have had some idea that he couldn't hold back a near riotous crowd. 

If this had been some guy trying to enter the lions cage to feed them raw meat... we'd have called that guy an idiot.

If this had been some guy trying to stop traffic by holding up a "crossing guard" sign in the middle of the interstate at rush hour we'd have called him an idiot.

If this had been some guy trying to stop the crowds of feisty mad minded early bird shoppers at Walmart by standing in front of them in the narrow entrance way of the store, we'd have called him an idiot.  Oh wait... point made!

Bosses will tell you to do the most unsavory things.  It doesn't mean you have to do them.  Common sense should have prevailed against all comers.

"They do have it in October, but this Canadian I chat with a lot says a lot of stores still have the "black friday" sales today"

the stores up here use the "black friday" slogan to get a few people in the stores, but since everybody is working the  stores dont get to busy and there arent alot of "deals" out there....

it kinda sad what people will do to save money...

DocNrock said:
GoDrex said:
There's no mention of a miscarriage  - thankfully.

When I first posted this, the article stated the pregnant woman had miscarried, and that medics told her the baby was dead.  It does appear to have been edited to this:

"A 28-year-old pregnant woman was knocked to the floor during the mad rush. She was hospitalized for observation, police said."

It was edited again and said the stories of a miscarriage were unfounded.

Nothing new under the sun.

This incident once again proves (for the bazillionth time in the history of mankind) that:

a)  There are plenty of dumbasses out there
b)  Said dumbasses will do anything, even kill, to get what they want
c)  It'll happen again

It's a simple, basic fact of life... i.e. *reality*.  Deal with it accordingly.

Max said:
It really is. I think some of these people don't understand that even if you buy something on sale, you spend money. You're not saving anything.

They're too stupid to figure that out, and even if you did tell them, they'd ignore you.

Can't reason with unreasonable dumbasses.

I've been pretty much indoors since Thursday evening fighting off the flu.  I came outside this morning to get into the truck to come back from Vancouver & am just sipping on Tea, Thereflu, and staying medicated.  No Black Friday, Saturday, Or Sunday shopping for me.

I'll reiterate; if you think the Black Friday pricing is low, wait until AFTER Xmas when they have to seriously start dumping stuff. I had to go to BestBuy today and pick up an ASUS EEE 900A netbook to rip apart and build a prototype out of and it appeared as if vast quantities of stuff they expected to sell Friday are still sitting there; there were few people in the store and no wait to check out.

If you live in a state/municipality where businesses have to pay an inventory tax on stockage as of 31 Dec, you'll really see some deals.  :eek:ccasion14:

jackthehack said:
I'll reiterate; if you think the Black Friday pricing is low, wait until AFTER Xmas when they have to seriously start dumping stuff.

What Jack said, and I've known all along.  The best deals are AFTER Jan 1 -

If you want guitars... my brothers and sisters, THEN is the time to shop.  Amps too.  Open box specials that were used for a day or two and returned for no reason other than not totally their cup of tea.  The low low price stuff wont see much of a change.  The  middle and upper markets will see the heaviest cuts.  Stores have to get that cash supply going, and they'll liquidate to do it, rather than tie it up in "maybe sell" inventory.

Back