Binding on Strat body

Frankie Chestnuts

Hey all: I’ve never finished a bound body before. BTW: This is NOT a WARMOTH body. Strat shape. The radius seems very small (sharp edge). Is this a typical width for binding? It’s only about 3-4 mm.

Do I sand down the edge? It’s clear the edge will not have anywhere near the radius of an unbound Strat body, but what is typically done? How are the bound Strat bodies from Warmoth finished?

Let me know if I’m not being clear. Thanks all.

Attachments

• DDE2867A-1A7C-4A12-BBC5-FF2F4C96FA30.jpeg
    DDE2867A-1A7C-4A12-BBC5-FF2F4C96FA30.jpeg
    907.2 KB · Views: 8
  • CC7EA1B0-2A08-46EB-A98B-2FDAFCBDF495.jpeg
    CC7EA1B0-2A08-46EB-A98B-2FDAFCBDF495.jpeg
    739.8 KB · Views: 8
They have a smaller than normal radius compared to an unbound body. I don't have one, but here is some info. It looks to me like the top curves slightly into the binding, rather than the binding and the top being at the same level on a Strat body.

It looks from the photos you have that the body is flat and the binding flush with the top, in which case the most you can get is just taking any sharp edge of the binding off by giving it a slight curve, rather than a sharp corner.

Lacquer, urethane, etc. don't stick well (long term) to 90° edges, so we usually "break" all the hard edges (pickup and control routes, neck pockets, etc.) before finishing. This is usually just some sandpaper on a dowel.

Traditionally, bound bodies usually get they color coats and bursts first, then the finisher goes back and scraps the paint off the binding before clear coating. That scraping also can help break the edge. But it is rarely radiused. 10-12 coats of clear tends to round everything off a little.

m007657-6-scraping-close.jpg

Last edited:
Back