Bill and Becky Lawrence

Status
Not open for further replies.

tfarny

Master Member
I ordered a set of tele pups from them about 3 weeks ago. Talked to Becky. Said they would ship in about a week. 3 weeks later, no word, no shipping notice, no pups. Guitar (baritone tele) is ready to go, literally just waiting for pickups. Called three times during PST business hours, and sent an email about 4 days ago, no phone answer no email response. Is this the norm, for people who've dealt with them? I'm not intending to be rude to them, or anything, but if it were an Ebay transaction for instance I'd be assuming fraud. Basically, should I start looking for other pickups, or are these just older people who don't answer the phone that often? I'm raring to get this tele going.

This sounds about normal except the phone part.  I think that when you call them they answer if they are near the phone, it could honestly be bad luck.  I never got a reply when I emailed them.  That is definitely not their strong point, but then again the pick ups are so everyone else just has to deal with it.  In three or so weeks I got an email from USPS and it showed up a day later.  I really don't think that this is all that out of character for them, but you could look on their forum to see if anything hinky is happening.  Good luck, and I am very curious to hear your review of the pick up.
Patrick

Update in the interest of fairness: Becky called me back, graciously apologized for the delay, said the pickups were mailed out a few days ago. So I'm back to being a happy camper, I'll post a review when I show you the finished guitar.

I have a pair of their pups in my tele.  I like 'em and have no plans to change 'em.  Though I have to say the neck pup sounds more like a strat pup than a tele pup, but I'll live with it.  The bridge, however, is perfect.

That's good to know.

I've got an Washburn N4 with an original Bill & Becky L-500 in the bridge.  It's seriously one of the best pickups I have, I hoenstly don't know why more people don't go for them.  For the price they can't be beat. 

Let us know how it sounds when you get 'em.

+1 for bill lawrence pickups!  I ordered myself an L-290l, L-280M & N set and q-filter for my guitar about 3 weeks ago im psyched.  Who else here uses them?

I'm really interested in hearing more about these. Be sure and write us a good review when they come.  :toothy10:

Looks like I'm late to this one, but yeah that can be normal.  They're a busy little shop and their contact seems sketchy at times.  Still nice pickups and good people though.

I ordered 4 pups about a week ago and I haven't gotten any response from my voice mail I left nor an email I sent. I'm glad I found this thread because I was getting concerned.

If it wasn't Bill & Becky... there's no way in hell I'd have bought anything anymore than I wouldn't be calling VISA at this point to retrieve my money. Other than getting pups from THE Bill Lawrence as opposed to a "d/b/a Bill Lawrence U.S.A." pup I understand fully that Bill & Becky's Wilde Pickups are a small business... emphasis on "small" which, for various reasons, is why I want to do business with them as opposed to some corporate mass produced pup. I will be patient because it's well worth waiting for.

I won't touch a Pay Pal merchant with a 10' pole after one of their "verified sellers" emptied his bank account, along with the $900 I sent him for a rifle scope I bought on gun brokers, and disappeared so well the Constable I hired to serve him with my lawsuit couldn't even find him. Thanks to the asinine 2-year statue of limitations I'm S.O.L. on my lawsuit but if I ever find the bastard I'm taking $900 out of his butt using all of the fun stuff I learned as a Marine. (kidding)

I had another issue recently with a Pay Pal merchant, floydupgrades.com , who never shipped what I bought - at first he asked me to send another payment (red flag) and then he had no idea what I ordered. Already being on alert I asked for a refund and got this "I"ve never had an unsatisfied customer and I'm not starting now" bit so I filed with Pay Pal. I got distracted with my claim as my mother-in-law died and a few months later I get back to normal and get an email that Pay Pal closed the dispute as the seller sent them nothing. I called Pay Pal to inform them of the death and they reopened the case. I finally got my refund but no after Floyd Upgrades sat on my money for 90 DAYS, I guess, hoping I forgot about it. I had to email Adam and use kid gloves and say, "If I could get a refund I'd be a VERY satisfied customer"... which was an outright lie on my part.

Pay Pay enables fraud and how they still operate after class action lawsuits is beyond me. REAL merchants who intend to stay in business establish roots by establishing a commercial account where they go under contract with credit card companies and process their own transactions with a point of sale device. Unless it's someone like Bill & Becky who have a longstanding reputation I'll search for a merchant who processes their own cards and wit or even do without as opposed to having to jack with amateurs. I support small businesses INTENTIONALLY but if they only have Pay Pal or they only take cash.... FORGET IT! Drug dealers and day laborers only take cash and anyone can set-up an Pay Pal account....

I can't wait to get my three L-45S and my extra L-500XL!!!

Question....
Why is time "on crack" when I try to squeeze things in before a deadline but when I have to wait on something time all but stops? 

*shakes fist in air* Damn you, time!!!  :laughing7:

tfarny said:
Wow, impressive rant. You are a natural at this internet forum thing.  :laughing7:

I'll say.  He makes our snarky one-liners looks horribly inadequate.  :redflag:

WTF?

Are you two trying to Flamebait me or are you always this ambiguous with your usage of snarky one-liners and emoticons because it looks like your trying to pick a fight. We can adjourn to a forum not quite as restrictive with speech as is this one... PM me and I'll give you the url so we can discuss what seems to be your problem without inconveniencing Warmoth.

dbw said:
tfarny said:
Wow, impressive rant. You are a natural at this internet forum thing.  :laughing7:

I'll say.  He makes our snarky one-liners looks horribly inadequate.   :redflag:

I'm certain I'd make a lot more than your snarky one liners look inadequate.

Dude, no reason to get aggressive. No one's getting personal!

Everything said here is in good fun, and while people tend to be a bit sardonic, it definitely is not in an attacking manner.

Though there has recently been some hostility on the forum and resistance to new members, in think in this case they really are just joking my friend. No worries!

Or....they're not joking.  Take those responses at their literal face value.  That was a good rant and it puts our one liners to shame.  Some people can't take a compliment I guess.

Calm down dude! What would I even be 'picking a fight' over? You posted a long intense rant on a nice calm (and dead) thread - as well as every single remotely politically oriented thread on this forum in the last few days. I was just jokingly suggesting that you take it down a notch. They sell 'medicine' legally in California that is very calming, I hear, perhaps you could benefit from some. No offense intended. The last thing I would ever want to do would be to get on some sports forum and trade 'Yo momma' insults all night. Sheesh.

crimethink said:
WTF?

Are you two trying to Flamebait me or are you always this ambiguous with your usage of snarky one-liners and emoticons because it looks like your trying to pick a fight. We can adjourn to a forum not quite as restrictive with speech as is this one... PM me and I'll give you the url so we can discuss what seems to be your problem without inconveniencing Warmoth.

dbw said:
tfarny said:

I'll say.  He makes our snarky one-liners looks horribly inadequate.   :redflag:

I'm certain I'd make a lot more than your snarky one liners look inadequate.

Whip it out, my "cocky" friend.  We'll see what's what and who's who.

:toothy12:

Seriously though.  Relax, we weren't attacking you.  :)

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
Or....they're not joking.  Take those responses at their literal face value.  That was a good rant and it puts our one liners to shame.  Some people can't take a compliment I guess.

Heh well okay, joking or not, they weren't being meanies. Better?

Also, to us forum old farts: I can understand why someone who hasn't been around this particular forum for a long time would assume that snarky lines are meant to be mean, not good-natured. From my limited experience, there are a lot more nasty forums out there than there are good-natured ones. One might learn to be defensive, if ya know what I mean.

tfarny said:
Calm down dude! What would I even be 'picking a fight' over? You posted a long intense rant on a nice calm (and dead) thread - as well as every single remotely politically oriented thread on this forum in the last few days. I was just jokingly suggesting that you take it down a notch. They sell 'medicine' legally in California that is very calming, I hear, perhaps you could benefit from some. No offense intended. The last thing I would ever want to do would be to get on some sports forum and trade 'Yo momma' insults all night. Sheesh.
No offense yet you imply above that I need to smoke some pot... excellent communication skills because I suppose that wasn't intended to offend either...

Even if I had just smoked AK-47 from Serious Seed Co... after "dbw" calls me a troll as I ask about wood and you post about my rant along with the laughing emoticon you deemed necessary to include followed by "dbw" waving the red flag with a smart remark after the troll accusation -- NEITHER OF YOU addressing any of the content of my post but solely addressing me -- there's no way there's enough THC on the planet to cause me not to respond. It's my way of saying BACK OFF... if I can't be afforded the same respect and common courtesy I extend to others I will earn this respect and courtesy one way or another.

For the record:
The member known as "dbw" is the same member who both called me a troll as well as flamed me in this thread which illustrates this member certainly has a problem where I am concerned and the evidence in writing illustrates "dbw" is the aggressor and I simply respond. I would suggest this forum's Admins & moderators have a word with "dbw" about stalking and harassment or else I will. Neither will I flame anyone nor otherwise post offensively directed at a member's person instead of the CONTENT of the member's post anymore than if and when I do I will leave no shadow of a doubt as to my intentions as well as owning what I post when challenged verses trying to play it off - backing down - as we see here.

You posted a long intense rant on a nice calm (and dead) thread - as well as every single remotely politically oriented thread on this forum in the last few days. I was just jokingly suggesting that you take it down a notch.

1. Bill's pickups are what I bought and am waiting to receive so excuse me for reviving a "calm and dead thread" but it was the only Pickup forum thread germane to anything that has to do with me. If reviving "dead" threads here is discouraged might I suggest adding this to the rules or asking an Admin to enable the pruning of old forums options in the Admin Control Panel of this board.

2. I had no idea you are a moderator, Admin, hall monitor or otherwise ordained by God to perform surveillance, discouragement, thought policing or otherwise regulating my posting activities much less, as you just admitted in writing, STALKING me from thread to thread because as you just inadvertently confessed YOU feel compelled to call me out because you have some issue with the topics I choose to participate in as well as, apparently, the length of my posts. This would be why I invited you to an offsite conversation in order to find out what your obvious problem seems to be. How that played out depended solely on you; either there could be an agreement to coexist, we could have become pals or it could have turned into being unproductive. Since you've disclosed the problem you have with me there's no need unless you insist on continually stalking me and continuing to flame me.

3. Since you're soooooo familiar with my posts I don't have to remind you that there have been no offensive posts whatsoever neither directed at you, red flag nor "dbw". Except for you two who took it upon yourselves to get all up in my business by addressing the one who posted verses the content of the post I have enjoyed this forum and been nothing but completely respectful of other posters because *I* confine my remarks to the content of the post as opposed to making it personal by addressing the member who made the post.

4. I appreciate your noticing my participation in "every single remotely politically oriented thread on this forum" because I noticed you ALSO posted in the very same threads... one of which has been deleted or I would show you. So, what, you're allowed to post in any thread you damn well please but I am not afforded the same privilege without hearing from the Post Police? Is this *your standard* or can I find this litmus test in writing somewhere as the policy of this forum? Be it known that it wasn't me who introduced Rep. Michelle Bachmann's psycho talk to the H1N1 flu thread... because that was you. Let it be known that when I quoted that post of yours none of its contents were addressed towards you... this is an example of comments directed at the CONTENT of the post as opposed to being directed at the PERSON... which the latter tends to give the impression the comments are intended to be personal for obvious reasons.

5. "I need to take it down a notch" Seeing as your not my mother nor my wife and neither do you pay my bills nor are you in any position of authority I would suggest you worry about yourself because until you felt compelled to become the momentary center of my attention I certainly wasn't taking any notice of you and neither was I noticing "dbw" until he, for a second time, decided to flame me. I moved on from "dbw" first flame after I responded but he clearly did not.

dbw said:
Whip it out, my "cocky" friend.  We'll see what's what and who's who.

:toothy12:

Seriously though.  Relax, we weren't attacking you.  :)

Now ask yourself, what is it about you that made you automatically think I was referring to "size" as it were when I mentioned "inadequate"...  :icon_scratch:

FTR: I was referring to even how my one-liners designed to be zingers and vague to give off "unintended impressions" for "misinterpretation", as you were doing, are better than yours.... and actually relevant to something you said by putting your words back at you. Christ, it's like playing the dozens with an episode of Family Guy... is there a tank with manatees putting idea balls into a box as to who comes up with your material or is this the best you can do being so experienced with this "inside joke" thing?
(see, that's sarcasm as well as a reference South Park fans will appreciate :)

In all seriousness you've forfeited any right to talk directly to me about me because of HOW you introduced yourself. If you'd be man enough to admit you were giving me a hard time that would allow us to reset back to square one and start over. I neither started with you, stalked you or otherwise had anything negative directed toward you and if you'll admit you were playing games I can assure you there will be no grudges and it will be squashed. *I* was talking about pickups which led into a tangent about Pay Pal and *you* were the one who took us off topic. As far as I'm concerned as long as you don't quote or reference me talking about me in lieu of sticking to the topic of the thread I should no longer be of your concern because you're not one of mine after I say my peace in this post.

nathana said:
Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:

Heh well okay, joking or not, they weren't being meanies. Better?

Also, to us forum old farts: I can understand why someone who hasn't been around this particular forum for a long time would assume that snarky lines are meant to be mean, not good-natured. From my limited experience, there are a lot more nasty forums out there than there are good-natured ones. One might learn to be defensive, if ya know what I mean.

In all sincerity THANK YOU, sir! In addition to thanking you I'd also like to extend my gratitude to the others who took the time to post because it IS appreciated...

Let me validate your EXCELLENT point with regards to, "From my limited experience, there are a lot more nasty forums out there than there are good-natured ones. One might learn to be defensive, if ya know what I mean" because your insight is dead on:

My forum experience has been SOLELY political up until I joined here (hence my penchant for political threads as "tfarny" illustrated) and I have seen and dealt with actual "trolls" who, by definition, register for the sole purpose of sowing discord and sowing discord is defined as flamebaiting, stalking, attacking or otherwise harassing members... TYPICALLY with "snarky one-liners" focused solely on the member posting as opposed to the content of their posts which are defined as "hit and run". This is not descriptive of the behavior *I* have displayed here but it certainly describes the behavior of two apparently long-standing members who felt the need for psychological projection in my direction or whatever seems to be the attraction. These type posts get people banned from most other boards and while my board isn't fond of banning if someone ACTS like a "troll" they last only as long as the board votes to decide when they're done playing with them and I would submit that all of my posts here are germane to the thread, directed at the content of the thread and the one thread I started was under the proper forum, respectful and legitimate. It wasn't until "dbw" and "tfarny" decided to include me on this "inside joke" aspect of this "light-hearted" board without including me as to what the inside joke actually is that anyone saw anything from me which was directed at a member verses the topic.

Case in point- notice how members who actually had something to contribute to the conversation of, say, sustainable wood got responses from me which resemble a thoughtful conversation? That's why I became a member here... not for the "inside joke" involuntary participation I was forced into as a brand new member by established members that looks like harassment as it is defined but really "isn't"... but to participate in the discussions, learn and make friends.

You are a sensible man so let's relate this to a hypothetical real-world scenario:
You're in a bar and someone gets in your face, you respond and walk away, but later on the same person comes and does it again... backed by a friend who joins in.... how long until you'd drop them where they once stood? Typically I can cordially hint to back off once and egress from the situation *if allowed to* but a second time and tag-teamed at that... be glad I respect this forum as much as I do because what yall saw was very restrained.

I'm done discussing whatever it is that caused "dbw" and "tfarny" to take issue with me and what and where I post on this forum as long as they choose to not be all up in my business... emphasis on the words "choose", "they" and "done". I've said my peace.

I know..... another "impressive rant".... some people find more quality in a lengthy post that actually says something as opposed to "snarky one liner" hit-and-run posts which contribute absolutely nothing. I prefer quality, obviously as my 1st Warmoth will be here on the 6th, because if quantity was what I preferred I could have bought a few crap guitars for what I spent on my Warmoth. This is a universal thing with me... quality over quantity.... which is why my posts here will only be where I can contribute something positive by sharing or asking questions.

crimethink said:
<Rant></Rant>
Chill, man. All of the people with over 250 posts or so are regulars, and are that way because they haven't been banned or left. We're a tight group for the most part (real arguing comes in politics threads, mainly) and we joke around a lot. That being said... THAT was an impressive rant  :icon_biggrin: (seriously).

Oh, dbw's not stalking at all. I read every single new post on this forum daily, and have read every post ever... posted. He's probably doing the same ;)
Like I said, and others before me, we joke around a ton, mostly snarky one-liners. Although Stubby has longer posts that have their own style.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back