Best woods for wood burning (guitar bodies)

Great Ape said:
Be forewarned that those markers are prone to bleeding on unsealed/unfinished wood--I utilize the deeper 'line' that the woodburning tip creates to prevent bleeding. Also know that sealer, shellac, oil, or almost any finishing agent will run those markers and dyes-I've learned the hard way, and use only spray shellac or sealer before applying wipe on poly--BEWARE!! You DO NOT want your colored artwork to go sliding around on your guitar body just when you were admiring how cool it looked!!
Have fun!!

Great Ape!  Thank you for that info.  I would not have known, and I had intended on trying BRIWAX "CLEAR".  I guess that idea is out.  That Zinsser Clear Shellac n(spray on) actually seems to have a slight yellowing/browning effect.  I guess hitting it with that polymerized satin nitro wouldn't seal it.  Gotta be an ideal spray-on sealer....what brand do you find works best?  Thanks!

The Zinsser 'Bull's Eye' clear that I use has virtually NO coloring effect that I've noticed-at worst, it's the least I've used...Zinsser's brush-on wood sealer, however, not only has an immediate 'browning' effect, it'll smear your colors all over the map! The shellac is the way to go... 

Great Ape said:
The Zinsser 'Bull's Eye' clear that I use has virtually NO coloring effect that I've noticed-at worst, it's the least I've used...Zinsser's brush-on wood sealer, however, not only has an immediate 'browning' effect, it'll smear your colors all over the map! The shellac is the way to go...

Yep, that Bull's Eye clear is what I used on the ZoSo strat, and it turned the alder much darker brown.  Or maybe that's just how it works with alder, I'm inexperienced when it comes to wood and finishing.  But I'll try the Zinsser again when I finish my basswood project.  So that's all you use to finish is shellac?  How may coats?  Do you sand?  Do you hit it with lacquer after a few coats of shellac?

I use 3 or 4 light coats of shellac, use those synthetic 'steel wool' pads between coats, and then wipe-
on poly (Minwax), as many coats as it takes toget the degree of shine I want for that specific body. 

Great Ape said:
I use 3 or 4 light coats of shellac, use those synthetic 'steel wool' pads between coats, and then wipe-
on poly (Minwax), as many coats as it takes toget the degree of shine I want for that specific body.

Thanks, I've looked around on Amazon, and I see some not-so-good reviews of some of the synthetic steel wools.  Which brand/type do you use?  I would assume 0000, but which type/brand?

They're kind of nameless...green is the medium 'grit', white is fine, almost like a polishing cloth. I can't imagine what kind of problem anyone would have with them. :dontknow:

Back