best way to fill walnut for clear nitro finish

dankomal

hi,
whats the best way to fill walnut grain prior to finishing??
I don't want to use a filler that in any way changes the appearance of the body.
also what would be the best product to use, i'm in the UK,
cheers,
mal.

Probably the clear water-based type filler like the Colortone that StewMac.com sells; being water based you could get it shipped out side the US from them. Lawrence-McFadden makes a clear oil-based filler along with colored one, don't know about their UK distribution

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Finishing_supplies/Fillers_and_putties.html

Walnut is a really tight grain, at least the body that I have. I didn't fill it at all and had no problems (oil finish). You might just go for a good sealer coat(s) and a bit of sandback - ie, treat it like alder.

tfarny said:
Walnut is a really tight grain, at least the body that I have. I didn't fill it at all and had no problems (oil finish). You might just go for a good sealer coat(s) and a bit of sandback - ie, treat it like alder.

Some walnut does have grain that would make it hard to get a high gloss smooth finish if that's what you wanted; my figured walnut Strat body certainly fell in that category.

Living in the UK can be a bit frustrating as many of the finishing products recommended are not available here. I have not tried a nitro finish with a filler but it might be worth looking at Birchwood Casey gunstock grain filler. You can get this from sporting gun suppliers in the UK - just google it. I used this on a black korina Warmoth strat that I made about three years ago. I finished it with Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil.

If I decide on a clear gloss finish again I will get Warmoth to do it - I can't be bothered with all that filling and sanding - I just want to play the thing! I gave my last build, a mahogany tele, an oil finish - it was much easier.

I have had good success using dewaxed shellac as a filler (3 to 4 coats, sanded in between) for walnut necks and bodies.

Back