Best sounding bedroom amp ?

1jimbo

Im looking for advice on a great sounding 15watt amp. I play mostly blues. I need something that sounds good at low volume.

I really loved Orange's Tiny Terror. 15 watt amp switchable to 7 watts. It has its own unique sound, but it's a versatile sound to be sure.

I'd definitely check one out.

I would get something with tubes under 3w... Blackhearts is the one I know...
Of course if you like the tone with some dirty, if you want 100% clean is another matter...

Fender Blues Jr NOS  for whats available now.

I'm still partial to my Mesa / Boogie Studio .22+ and Pre-CBS Black face Princeton but you can't get them anymore.

Blackstar HT-5H, 5 watt tube head, pretty cheep, sounds fantastic.

ht-5h.jpg

has anybody tried these Axl tube Amps?
I love the look of the Birch Finish on these:
http://www.axlguitars.com/aaak20.html

http://www.axlguitars.com/aams181gn.html

this one is cool too (not really bedroom size)
AA-AK-50_large.png

Hey misplaced, have you heard / played that blackstar? I was researching it on the web, sounds insanely cool. Probably has more gain than I need, but what features - footswitchable channels, line out, celestion speaker, and $400 at guitarcenter. Also, is it a true tube amp?

Hi tfarny, I have had the chance to play one of the blackstar heads, it wasn't the mini stack, it was run through a 2x12 cab, no idea what kind of speakers were in it though. Fantastic clean channel, believe it or not it has one of best clean channels I think I've ever heard. Didn't spend a lot of time on the gain channel as my friend was running a damage control demonizer pedal in front of it for distortion, but there is plenty of gain on tap, maybe not enough for new metal but more than enough for a trip to the 80s. I've haven't got a clue if it's 100% true tube amp, it's got tubes in it but pretty much everything has these days so your guess is as good as mine. I will say that for the clean channel alone it's more than worth the money. I haven't picked one up yet, I don't really need one, but I intend to get one anyway.

For great, low volume tone with lots of options, I gotta give props to the Fender Super Champ XD.  16 different voices that span the gamut of great Fender tones, and there are some British tones in there that aren't bad either!  I've even used it as a monitor in coffee shops with my Ovation plugged into the acoustic voice (lined out to the board), and it didn't sound bad!  You just can't get a more versatile practice amp anywhere.

Also, the stock speaker sounds absolutely fine at low to medium volumes, but when you crank it past 8ish, the low end flubs out.  I replaced mine with an Eminence Ragin' Cajun and the bottom stay nice and tight all the way to 11!  Even with that upgrade, you've only spent $375.00 new.

I'll post some sound clips tomorrow if you'd like.

Cheers,
Rose

those blackstars run like blackhearts: one tube in the preamp, one tube in the power amp. theyre different tubes too, an ECC83 and a 12BH7. they're meant to kick ass, and sound awesome without any mods. i'm hopefully gonna run one alongside my H&K switchblade in the near future. i was gonna get a blackheart, but the blackstar has a clean channel, i play clean about 1/3 of the time. i'm looking forward to busting it out  :guitaristgif:

1jimbo said:
Im looking for advice on a great sounding 15watt amp. I play mostly blues. I need something that sounds good at low volume.

I always find myself warming up my Fender Champ. One knob, you play, that's it.  :guitaristgif:

i guess i'm a little late coming to this discussion.

I'm always an advocate of the Peavey bandit. awesome amp. that ones about 40 watts SS i think..
other than that. alot of big name amp companies have micro amps that they're selling down in the vein of the original Pignose's.
My favorites so far are the Roland and Vox ones.  Tiny amps with huge sound, and some built in effects if you're interested in that stuff.

misplacedsanity said:
Blackstar HT-5H, 5 watt tube head, pretty cheep, sounds fantastic.

ht-5h.jpg

Haven't heard one but they seem to be HOT right now, I am really curious to hear one.

1jimbo said:
Whats a HotPlate
Its a power attenuator.  It gets hooked in between the amp and the speaker. 

http://www.thdelectronics.com/product_page_hotplate.html

Back