Best Bari Shape

JerkyChid

After screwing around with extremely low tunings on my Bich and watching this [youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoTZwzQhJIk[/youtube]

It made me wonder, "What's the best baritone shape?"

What's the best for the most important characteristics? [Tone, balance, weight, comfort]

I do see an awful lot of telecaster baritones. I would think a soloist or a VIP would be good too.

Ive got a SG baritone. It balances perfectly, and sounds awesome. (being rather large, weight really isnt an issue to me)

I'm planning on making a W LPS bari w/ a Soulmate neck made of wenge.  I think the LPS would be a great shape for it.

Also. I really love the look of a bare fretboard. especially ebony.

rapfohl09's case is very strange. Normal SG's do not balance very well at all most of the time and a longer neck would make the balance worse. I think that the VIP is by far the best shape you could use to counter neck heaviness because of it's mass and it's long upper horn which places the strap farther forward above the neck for better balance than most SG's LPS's or tele's could have. I think other good options could include the L5s, gibson style V's, and Explorers because of their mass. Balance is a big deal for me, so I would only choose shapes like that for a baritone, but if balance is not a big deal to you, than your options open up significantly.

I am currently making up a Baritone strat style with a chambered swamp ash body which was originally going to be a a mahogony jazzmaster body.
bariup03.jpg

I am now going to make 12 string out of a JM body next.

+1 on the VIP, probably even strats and soloists too.
The V is great in general, I'm a fan of a band called Machine Head who's lead singer/guitar player uses a baritone V. He seems to have no problems weilding it.

The Explorer would seem great too cause it natually is so body heavy, but because it sits somewhat more lengthwise than other shapes, it MAY make the neck feel longer than it is. Just in my imagination, cause i've not played one like that.

MUYFUE said:
The V is great in general, I'm a fan of a band called Machine Head who's lead singer/guitar player uses a baritone V. He seems to have no problems weilding it.

+1. Robb is the fudging man. Those guys put on a killer show (great guys as well! Phil's head is fudging huge in person. LOL.) But yeah, I'll agree with the V. Just seems to fit, it looks great and he don't seem to have any balance problems with it.

MUYFUE said:
Phil's a living Bobble Head!
:cool01:

Hell yeah he is, lol. Me and my friends were walking down the alleyway to the venue's entrance and I see a huge head peeking out of the side of the bus as we're walking by so naturally I point out his huge head and crack some jokes to my friends...Then I noticed his tiger-ish sleeve...Phil Demmel was pissing on the building.

Back