Beginner questions.

I'd probably go with a "Roundback" neck profile if you want that Gibson feel. That's probably what I'm going to go for on my next build.  I've currently got a Fatback which I love on my strat, but a Fatback might be a bit too fat if you're not expecting it.

The finish that comes off your frets comes off in tiny flakes so won't be "ugly" and it doesn't really get ion the way of your playing.  There are several ways of removing from the frets "properly" too.  Several people have posted here about how it's done.  I just let mine come off naturally through playing. 
And it only really applies to maple fretboards.  Most of the darker woods dont require a hard finish on them, maybe just a light oil now and again, and so there's nothing to come off anyway.

As for the logo.  Spend the extra couple of dollars and get one of the metal sticky back Warmoth logo's.  They look awesome.  Pretty much everyone here uses them.  WIth that said, again there are a few people who have printed their own logos, and they look great.

By the way.........VERY IMPORTANT ! ! ! !.............Stop apologising for your English !  It's excellent, probably better than mine, and I'm English  :icon_thumright:
Oh, and welcome to the mad house!
:eek:ccasion14:

Thanks for the great reply, Jim! :icon_smile:
I was looking at a 3/4 Scale Conversion neck. Does these necks affect the intonation of the guitar in any way?
I guess this is one of the necks that stratplayer1 has.

yeah thats what i have the 24 - 3/4 neck,  nope doesnt affect it at all, works perfectly, also warmoth sends you a little sticker with your purchase that you can put on the headstock, i just chose not to, but the metallic ones look sick. and no the finish coming off isn't noticeable unless you spend time looking for where it has come off, cant even tell.  and like jim said, you english is very good

Welcome to the forum  :icon_thumright:

You had to see how was MY english when I entered here... I could say I'm "good" now comparing with the old  :laughing7:

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
Guys, your English is fine.  Even when we don't know what you're saying, we know what you mean.

+1. You speak...err...type better english than most americans, sad as that sounds.

The Norwegian Guy said:
I see!
So I guess the R4 is Higher than R3 etc. ?

R-2 = 1-5/8" Nut-Width

* R-3 = 1-11/16" Nut-Width Narrow

R-4 = 1-11/16" Nut-Width Wide

R-5 = 1-3/4" Nut-Width

*R3 & *L3 = 1 11/16" Nut Width Narrow

Essentially, this nut is the 1 11/16" width, but the spread of the strings is pulled in resembling the spread found on a 1 5/8" nut. Supposedly, this was originally intended for Les Paul necks with the funky binding issues. R3 & L3 nuts work well with necks that have a 1 11/16" nut width and that are also bound. They are also popular with players wishing for a little more fret margin so as not to bend the strings beyond the fret ends.

Ctrl + C and Ctrl + V from String Nuts from Warmoth site  :)

Yes, I have read that. But I can't really say that I understand it though.
The main difference between R3 and R4 is that the space/gap between the strings is bigger on the R4 than the R3?

The Norwegian Guy said:
Yes, I have read that. But I can't really say that I understand it though.
The main difference between R3 and R4 is that the space/gap between the strings is bigger on the R4 than the R3?

(first, to hell with inches)
Yes! The R4 is "normal" 43mm nut string spaces, the R3 is like: you have the strings spacement you would have in 42mm nut, but in a 43mm nut  :icon_thumright:
Then when you do pinch harmonics as ZW you won't fall out of the board  :icon_biggrin:

The Norwegian Guy said:
Think I got it!
So as an good old Les Paul fanatic, the R4 would fit me better than the R3?

Well, I've never played a Gibson nor Fender  :laughing7:
Will let people here tell, I'm not sure what is the vintage correct measure... The new Les Paul 1959 VOS is 1-11/16" (~43mm) nut

Back