Bass Playing Frontmen

Besides the more notables who are some others?  Here's the ones I could think of.  The list is short, and some shared the spotlight.

Lemmy - Motorhead
Phil Lynott - Thin Lizzy
Geddy Lee - Rush
James Dewar? - Robin Trower
Les Claypool - Primus
Jack Blades - Night Ranger
Tom Araya - Slayer
Kip Winger - Winger
Sting - The Police
Brian Wilson - The Beach Boys
Roger Waters - Pink Floyd
Johnette Napolitano - Concrete Blonde
Peter Steele - Type O Negative

Paul McCartney - Wings (split duty in the Beatles)
Jack Bruce - split duty in Cream
Gene Simmons - split duty in KISS
Timothy B. Schmidt - he sings a song or two with the Eagles

Steve Harris

93steve01.jpg

Does Melissa Auf Der Maur count?   :icon_scratch:

How about Adam Yauch of the Beastie Boys?   :dontknow:

The only other one I can think of is Peter Cetera...  I kept thinking of bassists, but had to keep saying to myself, "Yeah they were amazing bassists or solo artists, but not really frontmen/women...

That was a pretty tough call for info.

the list is short cause have you ever tried to sing and play bass at the same time??? rythym guitar and singing is nothing like soloing and singing, it is very hard to do both at the same time.

Are front woman also included?

Suzi Quatro!!

quatro_rex_96224t.jpg

The dude from Spacehog that married Liv Tyler...they had that one good song "In The Meantime".

The dude from Spacehog was Royston Langdon I believe. I have their first album, and it's actually quite solid; there are good songs besides "In the Meantime"! But I digress.

What about Fat Mike from NOFX?

Tony Lewis - The Outfield (one hit wonders, but still relevant to the thread!)
John Gallagher - Raven (80's cheeseball metal band)
Joe Varga - Varga (Canadian 80's metal band)
Enid Williams - Girlschool (shared lead vocal duties)
Andy Curran (shared vocals in Coney Hatch, then fronted his own band called Drug Plan)

Makes you wonder what I listened to growing up ...  :party07:   :rock-on:   :headbang:

In my opinion, if you know what the bass player's name is off the top of your head, then that's a lot more credit than most bass players get.  John Entwistle.

hannaugh said:
In my opinion, if you know what the bass player's name is off the top of your head, then that's a lot more credit than most bass players get.  John Entwistle.

John Entwistle isn't even close to being a frontman.

Jared Whatisname from Big Business is a frontman...

Mike Herrera from MXPX.

I'd say all 4 members of Tool share the mystique rather than there being much of a single front man. but the uninitiated fan would disagree so I could be wrong about saying Justin Chancellor.

Yeah, Fat Mike from NOFX should be on that list.  He's a beast, and if there's any doubt, go listen to the Decline.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCz8PNvABO0  (part 1 because that's a 16 minute frakking punk song... it's amazing listening to them go through all those lyrical and musical themes)

I guess Mike Herrera from MXPX could be included, but I'm still bitter that they started covering "Take on Me" when we were playing it (as a joke) at shows that they were at.  :p  Ok, /bitter off!

Billy Sherwood switched to bass in Circa:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIO_hvCr4sQ

dbw said:
John Entwistle isn't even close to being a frontman.

I used to love his solo records!!!!

give the man some credit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E8as7xpR34

Back