Bass pickup help

I agree with that !  Especially solid state heads .  My 200w Acoustic doesn't carry nearly the punch of my 50w Sovtek (all tube)  watt for watt , although it does have better headroom. 

the bass player in my band uses 1000w ampeg w 4x10 and a 15. I get to use this rig when he dosnt show for practice. I never have trouble cutting through with it using only my Guild B301 with single jazz style pickup in it. It really is about the amp just like the other guys are saying....some to do with your style as well. Our bass player uses his fingers and has trouble cutting through the band. He is more "felt" than heard wheras I use a pick and cut through like a chain saw :headbang1:

Brian

Hey, since I just gathered you are still in school.  Buy a 200W bass combo if solid state.  Mine got me by until I was playing auditoriums.  Then I just added another 200W combo.  Looked goofy but it was enough power until I started playing gigs where I could DI my mass into the PA for FoH mix.  Of course by then I had already grown out of combo amps.  Something to keep in mind about bass is the really buttkicking feel it in your seat lows don't develop until it gets out into the audience.  Before someone drop kicks me, I discovered that kind of thing when I was in a band playing in drop G.  Its always wild when you your pumping 20-60hz.  And wondering where is my power going?

Wana's made a guitar said:
The three I'm trying to separate not is the Bart MM5CBC, Also the EMG-MMTW and the Nordstrand MM5.4. They all sound like great pickups for me. For my sister, maybe EMG J or JV set. 

Man, There Are Too Many Pickups!

I've got the EMG JV set in my J-Bass.  They have better pronounced lows the Fender passives, the highs are there but not like on the Fender passives.  Cabinets have a lot to do with it too.  My GK stuff was more articulate and my current Ampeg cab, you'd think I was playing a P-Bass.  More grunt than growl.

My vote, if you don't know what you want, but want vesatility, go with a P/J route.  While that will limit what pickups you can use, there are enough varieties from different manufacturers that all sound different that will fit that route.  Everybody makes P and J pickups.  Everything from thumping to singing.  The MM would be a good second choice but not everybody makes the same sized soapbar.    Oh, and watts and EQs shake houses.

Stubhead is right as always - get whatever pickups you can find and save that cash for a bigger amp if you want to 'own the house'.

You need 300+ watts to be playing seriously.  A good rule of thumb is that a bass amp should be 10x the wattage of the guitar amps you're playing next to, since it requires about 10x the wattage to move more air.  Don't take this to mean that you need 1000 watts of bass amplification because everyone buys 100w Marshalls that never get played to their potential because they're too effing loud.  I have played thousands of shows in my life as a bassist, and my 350w SWR has been with my on the majority of those with no complaints.  Just do yourself a favor and get something well made and reasonably powered.  Don't buy cheap Peaveys or Fenders.  Get a decent bass amp.  I encourage you to get a decent head and a 4x10 cab to start and add a quality 15 or 18 if needed. 

Modular is better than combo, and quality is always better than cheaper.  You'll hate (and destroy) a low end bass amp very quickly, whereas cheap guitar amps can sometimes sound "cool" because of the tonal range of the guitar.  I can't stress enough how important a quality amp is to your bass sound.

-Mark

Back