Bass neck with extended fretboard

BillE57

Trying to mount a Warmoth Bass neck to P-bass body. Extended fretboard flush to the body. Will I have to recess the bridge to get a reasonable string height?
Other options? Thanks

Did you look at the measurements on the warmoth website?  And which neck did you get ... Short scale?

Well since you didn’t specify, we can only presume you are using a Fender P bass body.  The neck should bolt up no issue with bridge height.

Those extended fretboards are planned around Fender specs. 

In fact, if you went full W say on a strat, and didn’t want to use a pickguard, the adjustment is made to the body at the neck pocket (720 mod). No adjustments are made to neck dimensions.

I did a scratch build P bass body. Routed the neck pocket so the fret board would be flush to the body. No pick guard so I could have access to truss rod. 34” scale. Looking at manufactured basses the neck rides above the body, that’s why I’m concerned that my fretboard will be too low.

While Warmoth doesn't offer the 720 option for bass, it doesn't list any required modifications surface-mounted bridges on guitars.

Compatibility Issues
  • The 720 Mod is available on rear-routed bodies only. It is not available on any body that is configured for a pickguard. Trying to tighten a neck in a 720-modded pocket while a pickguard is in the gap between the body and the overhanging fretboard will cause the fretboard to split off.
  • The 720 mod is not available on bodies that require an angled neck pocket. These include carved tops and bodies routed for certain bridges.
  • If the neck you plan to install has binding on it, do not get this mod. Binding often hangs lower than the overhanging fretboard end, and damage may result.
  • Available on our Custom Build bodies only. The 720 Mod is not available on our in-stock bodies.

Remember this is for guitars only, just posted for reference.

So you've done your own '0.720 mod' - or more like 0.75 if you've gone dead flush? Obviously I have no idea about your egg sucking abilities, so apologies, I don't mean to condescend or patronise, but please be careful when you screw the neck on hard. If you have gone for a true flush fit and the pocket's even a whisker deep, or if there's a little finish underneath the fingerboard extension, that could be problematic. Listening to the board detach from the neck wouldn't be my idea of good guitar assembly soundtrack.

Anyway, if the strings are going to be something like 0.125" lower at the bridge than normal, then yes, I'd suggest looking for a low profile bridge. Alternatively, barrel-style saddles could have some material removed from the underside to allow them to sit lower. Alternatively again, you could recess it as you suggest.

Put it together, dry fit and find out!

Good luck, have fun, and welcome to the forum.

Back