Bargain Strat

Mark W

Got my sale Strat done. Neck and body purchased in the sale last Dec.
My first attempt at refinishing a body.

Light weight Ash dyed with a red/mahogany dye. When I put two coats of clear and used grain filler, it sanded back through.
I liked the way it looked kind of worn, so I cleared it. I love the way the color is lighter or darker depending on the light.

Neck is maple and Pau Ferro, SS frets.
Back of neck is satin and the headstock is gloss. Pictures here.
http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=11112.0

Schaller locking tuners

Input at the first post convinced me to use a black pickguard (thank you very much)

Callaham bridge

Dimarzio pickups
Chopper in the neck, Fast Track 1 in the middle and a BC2 in the bridge.
I installed a blender pot in the 2nd tone position and installed 2 on/on/on switches for the heck of it to give me series/split/parallel settings with the neck and bridge pickups.

It weighs 7.4 lbs even with the heavier bridge block and locking tuners and is the best feeling/balanced guitar I have.
It sounds incredible and is also the most versatile guitar I have.

I agree with what everyone else has been saying.  And the black pickups, pickguard, and tremolo really put that nice finish in the spotlight.

Very nice.  I am not a huge ash fan but that looks great.  The clean look super smooth...congrats!  Did you use nitro or poly??

Thanks for the nice comments guys.

No, this is not a re-finish, that's just what I always called a paint job. I used to "refinish" cars for a living.

This is "out of a spray can re-ranch lacquer" I believe it is actually made by Lawrence McFadden.
It is far superior to Deft in my opinion.

I sanded it in between coats to a final sand of 2000 and polished it by hand.
It is very deep looking, very glossy and perfectly smooth. No swirls, scratches, grain, dirt, etc....

I am very impressed with that Lawrence McFadden clear...very impressed

Back