Balancing tone between body and neck wood...

exit1111

I love the look and feel of an ebony fretboard, but I am afraid of a guitar that is too bright. Would matching an ebony/maple neck with a Mahagony body even out the tonal spectrum to the level of an alder body/rosewood fretboard combination?

If the question is really about using a ebony rather than a rosewood fretboard on a maple neck attached to an alder body; there's not a lot of tonal differentiation on changing the fretboard wood. If you were going from a maple neck w/fretboard to a SOLID ebony or rosewood neck, that would be a different story.

Just curious...would it make sense that the fretboard wood of a particularly light or hollowed out guitar could have more of an effect on the overall tone, as there is less of the core body wood to balance it out?

Also, while we're on the subject of neck wood vs. body wood...
Any personal opinions or experiences with the differences in tone between a Warmoth Pro neck (which I understand to be heavier) versus a classic style neck of the same wood?

rockdude326 said:
would it make sense that the fretboard wood of a particularly light or hollowed out guitar could have more of an effect on the overall tone, as there is less of the core body wood to balance it out?

No.  The main tone producer, besides the pickups, is the neck wood, neck contour as well.  The solid/hollow body is next.  Body wood next.  String type and winding.  Then somplace down the list, right above "body wood finish", is the fretboard. 

rockdude326 said:
Also, while we're on the subject of neck wood vs. body wood...
Any personal opinions or experiences with the differences in tone between a Warmoth Pro neck (which I understand to be heavier) versus a classic style neck of the same wood?

Considering all else the same, except construction type... the differences will be minimal.  The WPro neck uses a different truss rod, weights slightly more because of that... the truss rod is a little stiffer too.  But... its so minor...  changing from one brand of strings to another will have more impact.

The WPro neck uses a different truss rod, weights slightly more because of that... the truss rod is a little stiffer too.  But... its so minor...  changing from one brand of strings to another will have more impact.
CB and I are just going to have to disagree on this. I personally prefer a rigid, heavier truss rod myself, but a lot of the hardcore vintage types feel that the "springiness" of a lighter & single-rod neck is part of the classic Fender tone. I guess the idea is, you got strings floating on springs on one end in the whammy bar, and a neck that flaps all around, it sounds "livelier?" Since I don't give a rat's ass about "vintage", rather, I want to sound good, well... remember the Ventures? "Vintage" tone. Theme from "Green Acres?" Big Brother & the Holding Company? Now there's some "vintage tone" for you-> :icon_tongue:

Here is what USA Custom Guitars say about their neck, they're using it's non-Warmothiness as a selling point:
All of our necks are crafted with hand selected, time tested tonewoods and feature a vintage style one way truss rod for classic tone and lighter weight.

Here is what Warmoth says about their own single-rod "Vintage Modern" neck:
In replacement situations, these necks will preserve the tone of your instrument while incorporating modern features and conveniences.

Have you seen guys grab the peghead of their guitar and wiggle it around, to imitate a whammy bar? Or even just SHAKE their guitar? When you do that to a Warmoth double-rodded neck, nothing happens. Again, I personally like that, but the hardcore vintagers, boy they're something.... :binkybaby: That DeTemple guy is charging $6000 for a friggin' Strat copy, too bad I'm so poor I can't afford the best.... :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12:
http://www.detempleguitars.com/home2.htm

I don't know if he can build a guitar, or not, but he sure is great at marketing hype:
They have a longer, deeper body contour than traditional shaping for increased player comfort, tone and resonance.

Oh yes - lengthening my own contours always helps my resonance, too. Except, when removing "valuable tonewood" doesn't....  :blob7:

Both companies are trying to sell what they offer, as a counter to what the others offer..... I think its only natural to emphasize the differences when dealing in promotional text.

That being said - I still think there's not a rats ass difference between the two types of truss rods - less tonal difference than between string brands/types.

Hey at least its not Tone Pro's hyperbole.  They are just out and out.... making up claims.  What nobody says about them is - ok, back off those locking screws, ya ought to hear a difference.  Of course, you dont.

Which brings me to the point.  The stress level on the neck - string pull of 165lbs to 180lbs, is mostly borne by the wood.  No truss rod... the wood will flex to an extent, but it doesn't fold in half like a centerfold model in a girly magazine. Consider the truss rod a "helper spring", just something to help your wood stay straight. 

Not saying there's no difference in tone... just not a whole lot...  switch from Fender to Slinky to d'Addario... you'll hear more difference.

Back