Bagman67 has resumed making a door!

I got hijacked for the entire weekend by work, so it's stalled. I'll be cutting down lumber and running it through the jointer and thickness planer tonight, the good Lord willin' an' the creek don't rise.

I got hijacked for the entire weekend by work, so it's stalled. I'll be cutting down lumber and running it through the jointer and thickness planer tonight, the good Lord willin' an' the creek don't rise.
aha! I thought so. I half suspect you just wanted a cool planer to admire. :oops:

Welp, I got all set up to make some sawdust this weekend, and the used jointer I picked up thwarted me in the first hour. I acquired this tool from a guy who assured me the blades had been recently replaced, but what he neglected to disclose was that they were apparently dropped on a concrete floor a few dozen times prior to installation. I have some dunnage boards I picked up on a recent dumpster dive to use as testers for any of my power tool adventures before I commit to permanently changing the shape of my expensive hardwood. And man, what a mess that jointer made of the surface. Rather than getting a nice, clean, square reference edge for all the other work, it looks like some kid with access to a block plane went nuts on it. UNCOOL, dudes.

Anyway, replacement blades arrive Wednesday, and we'll see if we can get a little farther into the project before I have to deploy my swear words.

Welp, I got all set up to make some sawdust this weekend, and the used jointer I picked up thwarted me in the first hour. I acquired this tool from a guy who assured me the blades had been recently replaced, but what he neglected to disclose was that they were apparently dropped on a concrete floor a few dozen times prior to installation. I have some dunnage boards I picked up on a recent dumpster dive to use as testers for any of my power tool adventures before I commit to permanently changing the shape of my expensive hardwood. And man, what a mess that jointer made of the surface. Rather than getting a nice, clean, square reference edge for all the other work, it looks like some kid with access to a block plane went nuts on it. UNCOOL, dudes.

Anyway, replacement blades arrive Wednesday, and we'll see if we can get a little farther into the project before I have to deploy my swear words.
Aw, what a bummer. Nothing worse then getting all mentally prepared,set up, and something goes bad so you can't proceed.

Update: The replacement knives for the planer came in, and when I went to replace them, the &(*@)(! hex screws were already pre-rounded out. So I have to work out an extraction solution.

BUt in the meantime, I also got hold of a 2" flush-trim router bit!

For an exterior door, I figure the factory edge of MDF is sufficient for registration. So I clamped a length of MDF along the edge of each board about a 1/16" back from the sawn edge. I then routed the cleanest edges of my stock flush with the MDF, and presto, I have the equivalent of a jointed edge!

I did have one instance of wobble with the router near the end of one of my boards, but the defect is going to be cut out when I cut the tenons on the stiles. So:

PROGRESS.

Carry on.

Bagman

Back