Baaaasic tips wanted

Kvebbs

Im doing a VIP with a Black Korina body and wenge top... I was thinking of applying some lemonoil on the wenge top, any suggestions for the black korina? Since I'm getting a wenge/ebony neck I really don't want the raw korina look on there...

How easy is it to paint the korina black? Warmoth said they don't do that kind of finishes (only the backside...) and since I have NO experience in painting anything except the odd house I really need it to be as simple as possible.... or atleast possible to achieve without any prior experience:D

Are there any other options you would suggest? Just to get it a bit darker than the natural color... also of course to protect the wood (both wenge and korina really...) from wear and  :party07:

Hmm, you seem to have some unusual ideas about finishing - first off, lemon oil is a cleaner not a finish. You can apply it to a wenge top but I don't know why you would, unless it needed cleaning. Second, depending on your taste and tolerance for an amateur appearance, painting the body black could range from an easy spray job to a very exacting and time consuming procedure. It is NOT easy to get a professional looking finish! Third, finishing just part of a body is generally 'not done' - in fact I've never seen a body with part finished and part raw.

Based on just your post, I suggest you would be happiest in the long run asking warmoth to apply a vintage tint to the korina and a satin finish over the whole body. Yes they will do this. Finishing is really only a good idea for those people who are interested in finishing, and have the time, patience and tools to do it to their satisfaction. Then again, if you want to finish it yourself, please don't let me try to stop you - there is a ton of basic info on this forum already and on the web in general, so put on those reading glasses and get to it!  :icon_thumright:

haha - and so my none-knowledge of finishing clearly shines through:D I'll be good and do some more research! hehe - thanks for the suggestion anyway;) It seems I'll be better off getting warmoth on the job!

Hey man, I just used black waterbased dye on the back of my VIP, and it came out awesome.

Back