Audio Interface question

Neo Fender

I have a TASCAM US -2x2 interface that I am using with a Windows 7 PC and either Guitar Rig 5 or Amplitube 3.  I can get audio from the TASCAM via headphones.  Although the sound quality won't be great, I would like to get audio from the PC's speakers.  Am I missing a setting or adjustment within the TASCAM software, the PC's audio card or do I need to run an audio cable from the TASCAM's line out to the PC's sound card?

Thanks.

The easiest way to do this is to run the line out, or the headphone out(though not ideal), directly to the speakers. There are ways to have the computer pull in from the interface and push out through the sound card using virtual audio cable software but it's kind of complicated.

From what I understand, when you hook your interface up to the computer, the operating system sees it as an external sound card. So, when it's set as the audio device in the control panel, the computer is only using the inputs and outputs of the interface.

Thanks.  I haven't pulled the trigger on powered speakers yet, so I'll try using the PC's external speakers via the sound card.

It shouldn't matter if the speakers are powered, you should still be able to use them from the line out on the interface, if I'm not mistaken. Assuming your PC speakers have the standard 3.5mm plug you just need a 3.5 to 1/4 inch adapter to get them connected and they should work.

If that's the case then you could use the headphone out, if your headphones work from that output, the speakers should. The line out thing was different for me because I ran mine to a stereo receiver which my bookshelf speakers were connected to.

You can try tinkering with virtual audio cable software to try to set up the interface as an input and your sound card device as the out. This may even be possible to do in the windows control panel but I'm currently on a work computer that does not allow me access to the control panel so I can't test that.

Avoid the Alesis M1 MkII Powered speakers. They're decent sounding, but they have a power supply design flaw that Alesis refuses to fix. A stupid one at that, and eventually most of them die.
(A resistor in the kick start circuit dissipates way too much heat, way too close to a capacitor, and it cooks it to death.)

Noted.  Thanks.

swarfrat said:
Avoid the Alesis M1 MkII Powered speakers. They're decent sounding, but they have a power supply design flaw that Alesis refuses to fix. A stupid one at that, and eventually most of them die.
(A resistor in the kick start circuit dissipates way too much heat, way too close to a capacitor, and it cooks it to death.)

swarfrat said:

Ditto.
We have some in the broadcast studio at work and one of them has a blown power supply.
They're weren't even being pushed hard at all.

Neo Fender said:
I didn't think a line level signal would be strong enough for anything unpowered.

It's not.  Passive speakers require an amplifier.

However, the line out will drive powered speakers (including PC speakers, if you want to try that first).
I would avoid using your PC's sound card ... chances are it will be somewhat noisy.  Plug the speakers into the Tascam's line out jack.  You'll probably need an 1/8" TRS Y cable that terminates to 2 of whatever plug your powered speakers will accept ... or if you want to build one yourself, the tip goes to the left speaker, and the ring to the right.

Another thing to consider is hooking up a speaker switcher.

You can get one cheap. I think Radio Shack even makes one. You can run the stereo audio out of the computer into Input 1 of the switcher and audio out of the Tascam into Input 2 of the switcher and hook up your speakers to the output of the switcher. That way, all you have to do is press a button to select what input feeds the speakers.

Back