Ash Grain Filling With StewMac Clear Grain Filler

Smallestparts

I'm having a nightmare of a time with this stewmac version of aqua coat for a grain filler on swamp ash jaguar body: https://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_Supplies/Finishing_Supplies/Fillers_and_Putties/ColorTone_Clear_Grain_Filler.html

I've tried every conceivable way of putting this on - brush, hands, paper towel, scraper, thinning it - and it's just not doing a great job of filling the grain after about 5 coats. While I get it's going to take multiple coats, the satellite issue I'm having is with sanding it back. I've tried 320, 220 and 180 grits and no matter how much I go over it, I still seem to be left with little spots you can see in the right light where it's not fully sanded back. I plan to do a transparent brown nitro finish, and so I have a few questions.

1) Are those spots going to get all hazy if I lacquer over them?
2) Does anyone have any tips here, or is it just going to be a week long ordeal of sanding and sanding and sanding?
3) Should I just try and sand the whole thing back and use a new product? Maybe something like this: https://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_Supplies/Finishing_Supplies/Fillers_and_Putties/ColorTone_Powdered_Grain_Filler.html

I've attached an image of what I'm talking about - top left in the photo, but it's like that all over the guitar if the light hits it just right...and it's really hard to catch.

Attachments

• IMG_4012.jpg
    IMG_4012.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 278
I don't have a specific suggestion for the body itself, but if you're concerned about how the filler will behave under a finish, I'd suggest getting a piece of scrap lumber of the same species and testing your finish there before you do something to the high-priced part you might come to regret later.

Toulouse_Tuhles said:
For what it's worth I've used super glue as a grain filler on ash. Definitely not for dyed finish though. 

I have a lot of experience working with CA glue - I'm very seriously considering sanding it back and starting over with that.

An update for anyone curious. Got some scrap ash and did a test with CA as a filler, 3 coats of nitro sanding sealer and 2 coats of color nitro. It worked like a dream.

So, that’s the method I’ll use. I really hated this stewmac clear grain filler.  I’ll post results on the actual body once I have a free day to get back into it next week.

Thanks for the suggestions.

What sort of CA glue do you use? Not 32 teeny tiny bottles I'm sure. How thin? How much does it take?

swarfrat said:
What sort of CA glue do you use? Not 32 teeny tiny bottles I'm sure. How thin? How much does it take?

I use medium thickness CA glue that I got from a local woodshop. For the test, I used a 1oz bottle, of which I used a little more than 1/3 of it. I'll pick up another bottle as a backup for high stakes work. So, 1 - 1.5oz should more than cover you for 3 coats on an electric body.

I've attached a couple of photos here. First is the glue. Second, I've got an image of the test board that shows how it looks with the grain filled and nitro over it, and a section that was left rough for comparison.

Attachments

• IMG_4021.jpg
    IMG_4021.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_4022.jpg
    IMG_4022.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 231
Thanks, ordered some thick 2oz bottles today. Will give this a try.

My own experience is that you don't need much glue but it needs to go on thin.  When I did ash, the deepest canyons took three coats but the rest just took one coat.

Back