Are you left handed or Right Handed ?

Are you left handed or Right Handed ?

• Total voters
What does playing normal guitars backwards have to do with cutting the cheese?

^^^ Ever see those cheese cutters that use piano wire/guitar strings?? Aggressive playing with the light string on the top could result in slice & dice! HA...

I ran across something a while back. I looked for it, but can't find it right now (left now?). I'll look again later.

It was some piece on the history of the guitar, going back to the vihuela and the lute. Apparently (so it goes), some fella, maybe not a regular lute maker, had been commissioned to build an instrument. But he was making it from description only, which accounted for some of the evolution of the instrument. But the story goes that he built it so that he could test/play it in an intuitively ergonomic manner. That is, with his dominant hand doing the more complex work - the fretting. The punch line? .... he was LEFT handed. And what he built was what we'd call a "right-handed" instrument.

So this story claims that the "right-handed" guitar was actually designed to be played by a left hander. So it's all us righties that should be playing the left-handed guitars.

It was an interesting story. Anybody else heard it?

Prometheus said:
So this story claims that the "right-handed" guitar was actually designed to be played by a left hander. So it's all us righties that should be playing the left-handed guitars.

My south-paw son tried "left-handed" guitars when he was younger, but couldn't stand 'em... went with a "normal" one even though I was willing to buy him the other.

My right-handed buddy/frontman instinctively "plays" left-handed when he does air-guitar. Dunno why... might also be related to this theory.

I think that as a lefty playing a right handed guitar is natural feeling. I do everything left handed, bat, write, throw, shoot. When I first picked up a guitar I kinda thought I just got lucky in finding a left handed guitar. Took me a moment to realize this was the first thing I did so called "right handed".

I can do all sorts of imaginary activities left handed. I don't see why air guitar is any different or any indicator of handedness. Nobody can hear that you suck when playing air guitar

I just think it's funny; he'll be telling me about how a song goes or talkin' about a riff he learned, and his hands pop up into mock guitar jamming position, but even though he's a right-handed player, he "air-guitars" lefty. Every time. I can barely do it meaning to.

Just thought that tid-bit was off-topic enough for this off-topic discussion, that's all.  :laughing7:

Lefty/partial Ambi, I have always played a 'Right-Handed' guitar after my father strung up an old Kay flat top acoustic as a lefty and had me give it a go.

I still feel what we call a 'Right Handed' guitar is actually a Lefty instrument. I mean, it makes sense to put the strong hand on the fretboard.

Ray

I'm righty, play righty, though I know several lefties that play righty.  In fact, the vast majority of the lefties I know that play guitar do play righty.  In a lopsided ratio, they are by far some of the better players around.  The few lefties that I do know that play symmetrically correct left handed instruments, I have to believe it is out of stubborn insistence; shortage of left-handed instruments, etc.  Even a lefty playing a righty string orientation upside down, Albert King, Dick Dale, Doyle II, makes more sense because, like most, we first learn to play on someone else's right handed instrument.

As it's been stated before, the experts in charge of this kind of research are beginning to believe there is no such thing as a left-handed person; righties and ambidextrous righties with a ambidextrous dominant leaning with some things.  For example, many lefties perform some tasks as a righty, and many lefties with a dominant hand injury adapt to righty ways easier than their counterparts.

As a righty who began playing before he had a computer with a mouse, my first mouse, I used lefty.  I also put my wallet in my left hind pocket like a lefty.  It may be because of fret work and drive thru fast food proclivity, but doing things out the driver's side window with the left hand like a drive up ATM are no trouble.  That may not seem a big deal, but ever notice at an ATM how many people have to partially open a door, swing their right side around just to use their right hand?

Lastly, in my late teens, I broke a few fingers on my left hand.  They were actually smashed and shattered.  Not thinking they would ever be the same, I tried learning lefty.  Couldn't do it.  The fretting part was actually easy, but after the fingers healed, I could never get the plectrum portion down.

Some interesting comment STDC

As an aside what you mentioned about drive through ATMs, reminded me of driving a right hand drive car in Europe or a Left hand drive in the UK, I don't mind either way but pay booths and barriers you end up having to lean across the whole car.

England, where we drive on the left and consider it to be right...

Back