are necks with floyd nut different?

rahimiiii

Are necks with floyd nut prepared any different than necks without? I plan to get a neck and have a local guy modify it, will he be able to just route some wood off behind the nut and install the floyd nut?

You know that Warmoth will prep a neck for their own locking nut, right?
http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/necks/necks.cfm?fuseaction=stringnut#lock

If I wanted a Floyd Rose, I would absolutely go this route. You could use the Schaller/Rose nut that Warmoth routes for and a different bridge unit if you wanted to, a lot of people like the Ibanez locking whammys better than the OFR's for example.

45 dollars is really steep though for a simple prep... I know a local shop who will install the floyd rose to any stratocaster type guitar (including hardware) for 250. They use schaller floyd rose bridge.

Is this too low? I don't know what's the going rate in the US... obviously labor cost is a little cheaper here.

i think guitar tech work here goes for about $80 an hour, at liest here in California. so if it was me, id go for Warmoth doing the work. id say the same about a regular nut install or bridge stud installation....just have them do it.

Brian

bpmorton777 said:
i think guitar tech work here goes for about $80 an hour, at liest here in California. so if it was me, id go for Warmoth doing the work. id say the same about a regular nut install or bridge stud installation....just have them do it.

Brian

I would but I have a body already and I can't just send it to Warmoth to mod it... (the shipping alone would cost more than the cost to have a tech here do it) and the shop will install the trem for 250 including the hardware, and recess, nut prep and stuff...

I don't know how many hour it takes to do this but in Taiwan you generally don't pay more than 20 dollars an hour for work performed unless it's reaaally specialized.

Back