Anyone here mod their Pignose?

cromulent

Not really Warmoth-related, but I trust this forum. I'm thinking about removing the diode from the Pignose 7-100 to get rid of the 'fizz', but curious if anyone has any words of warning first. Some forums seems to suggest it could potentially cause problems. Many thanks in advance!

Not really Warmoth-related, but I trust this forum. I'm thinking about removing the diode from the Pignose 7-100 to get rid of the 'fizz', but curious if anyone has any words of warning first. Some forums seems to suggest it could potentially cause problems. Many thanks in advance!
I have not. I did remove the diodes from a Boss DS-1 and it kinda turned it into more of a hairy boost pedal.

I have considered doing the same. I saw a video on youtube that showed which one to clip.
The only amp I have is a pignose, so I've been reluctant to try it.

Not sure if we saw the same youtube, but I saw one where the guy temporarily installed a toggle so he could do a quick head-to-head. I think I want to install a toggle permanently so you can flip the diode in/out of the circuit.

I dunno but before you try it, play Zappa's "Black Napkins" through it first to make sure you wanna do the mod

I think the circuit has changed since the version Zappa used. But anyway, the mod supposedly just cleans up the low volume (removes that 'fizz' haze) but keeps the loud tone pretty much unchanged.

I use my Pignose for a wet/dry setup so prefer that it cleans up nicely.

Ok just to close the loop on this one...

I went ahead and did the mod. I clipped one terminal of the diode and inserted a simple on/off switch at the break point. To be clear: I soldered one lead onto the clipped diode terminal (black wire in the center of the first pic), and soldered the other lead onto the back of the PCB where the lead had been connected. This way, I can effectively toggle the diode in and out of the circuit whenever. Then I drilled a hole in the back of the amp to house the toggle. Attaching pics for reference. Also, apologies for the crappy soldering job - it's not my forte.

The difference in sound is exactly like the youtubes. Removing the diode gets rid of the fizzy distortion at low volumes, and gives an overall fuller sound. But the difference is certainly not drastic.

@18allthaway - I'd say go for it. It was pretty simple. Let me know if you have any questions.

Attachments

• diode (small).jpg
    diode (small).jpg
    327.7 KB · Views: 12
  • switch inside (small).jpg
    switch inside (small).jpg
    500.6 KB · Views: 9
  • back cover.jpg
    back cover.jpg
    335.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
If you really want to go hog wild*, run the leads to a 1/4" jack where you have the switch, and then build yourself a footswitch.

* (get it? HOG wild, with a PIGnose amp? nyuk nyuk I'll see myself out)

Ha that's tempting. But honestly, I don't gig much anymore so I don't need the ability to switch on the fly. And the last thing I need is for my wife to see yet another pedal...

I'm hip. I'm trying to figure out how to get a Mesa Boogie combo into the house without upsetting the balance of the universe.

Back