Anyone have an older padouk neck?

dumpsite

Curious about how they look when they age. Supposedly they oxidize to a warm brown. If anyone has a photo of one I’d appreciate you sharing it. Thanks!

Check out this article ...
Takes about 10 years ... enjoy it for 5 years then watch it change. Not that there's anything wrong with that it's just nature. I have a bloodwood fretboard on on a rosewood neck and both are darkening to a beautiful Lustre. Sort of reddish brown for the bloodwood. Sort of purplish brown for the rosewood.

Even with a finish it will change color ... might take longer ...

Last edited:
I can attest that it does indeed darken over time. I don’t have a Padauk neck. But I did make a Padauk shadow box table for the wedding bouquet my wife carried. It’s almost 25 years old now, and it’s a far cry from the orange raw wood. I can post a pic if you want me to.

So if you finish padauk it maintains it's color

Not just any finish; my understanding is that the finish must include an ultraviolet block for it to preserve the color.

I have Padauk neck and body from Warmoth that are ~4 or 5 years old. Based on several woodworkers' recommendations I finished the body (poorly) using Minwax Helmsman Spar water-based urethane specifically because of the UV blocks it contains.

It would be premature to post current pics because A) it's only been ~4 or 5 years, and B) it's spent most of those ~4 or 5 years in its case w/ no exposure to sunlight...because after ~4 or 5 years I still haven't finished building the guitar! :(

But I am fully prepared to see that gorgeous orange color evolve into a chocolately-brown eventually. Just, hopefully not too brown. :::shrugs:::

Back