Anyone have a good Led Zep/Page sound? GT10??

dmraco

Master Member
I am looking to create a Lep Zep/Page sound on my Boss GT10.  Any tips???

I can do early zeppelin with my Vox AC15 turned all the way up, then bridge humbucker on my tele deluxe. No tricks...

not looking for guitar mods...I have enought to cover just about anything...I was hoping there was someone here with a GT10 that may have a good patch...I have one that is close...but Jimmy's sound is really hard to replicate.

On some of the recordings they would put 4 or so compressors in a row to boost the signal.  It would really boost the signal and overdrive the preamp.  It would also feedback like crazy, but I believe that is how they managed the sound on Black Dog.  I suppose a boost pedal would do something similar, or a boost function on a floor unit.
Patrick

To me his early studio sound was always marked by its simple rawness, more than anything.  Tele, maybe a Prescription Electronics Yardbox or a similar sort of fuzz, and a small tube combo amp working really hard.

Are there any specific songs/recordings you have in mind?

some of the songs are Black Dog, Wanton Song, Custard Pie, Kashmir, and Heartbreaker....I am playing thru a 40 watt fender Deluxe...

Aw man, I can't give ya any tips cuz one, I don't know the GT10.  And prolly don't wanna know it.  Two, you need toobage: glorious, simple-circuit, golden toob tone... not SS or multi-FX.

If'n you really want to do the Page thing, you gotta do like someone here said - small tube (simple circuit) combo amp working really hard.

Doesn't your Fender Deluxe do this?  Or, is it a new one with less-than-desirable toob tone?

Superlizard said:
Aw man, I can't give ya any tips cuz one, I don't know the GT10.  And prolly don't wanna know it.  Two, you need toobage: glorious, simple-circuit, golden toob tone... not SS or multi-FX.

If'n you really want to do the Page thing, you gotta do like someone here said - small tube (simple circuit) combo amp working really hard.

Doesn't your Fender Deluxe do this?  Or, is it a new one with less-than-desirable toob tone?

it is an older one but I do not think his has that Page vibe!  That amp mostly shines on the clean channels/ 

Volitions Advocate said:
I'm a GT 10 user.  What are you using for your almost page tone?
Maybe I can help.

That is the problem...I am not sure...

I am up for either creating a new patch or modifing one that already is there.  I was thinking of using the Purple Stack as a starting point.

Thoughts?

dmraco said:
some of the songs are Black Dog, Wanton Song, Custard Pie, Kashmir, and Heartbreaker....I am playing thru a 40 watt fender Deluxe...

Outside of Heartbreaker those are all later Zep songs....I suspect some Zep studio magic accounts for the uniqueness of the tone in many of those instances.  For I and II, though, I'm not sure how easy it would be to get those tones with modelling or digital effects.  The simplicity of his tones let more of his own playing through...the whole "tone is in the fingers" thing.

Good luck regardless though!  Maybe they've drastically improved those sorts of multieffects boards in recent years, I haven't used them for some time now.

If you read about how Page did things, you'll also learn that he was really big into mic placement. He viewed it as an art form. He wasn't the kind of guy that just stuck a mic in a speaker cone. He did all sorts of things with different rooms and different mic locations. That's another reason why it's tough to nail his sound from records.

Since you spec'ed "40 watts", assuming that's a Blues Deluxe? Perfectly reasonable tube amp...

1.) Shitcan the OEM speaker and replace with a Celestion Vintage 30.
2.) Use "clean" channel only, set the bass to around 5-6, mid to about 7-8, treble to about 7-8; presence 3-4, reverb 3-4
3.) Insert CryBaby wah pedal between guitar and amp. Play with this, leave it set at applicable treble boost mode for older stuff like Heartbreaker, back off treble some for newer material.

Main issue is you really need to crank this puppy up to get the tube sustain you're looking for, and it will get loud enough to get you in trouble with the neighbors. As an alternative, you can stick a set of Yellow Jackets or SubstiTubes with a matched EL84 duet to get it to sing at a more acceptable SPL.

Back