Anyone built a thinline?

hannaugh

Master Member
I was wondering if anyone here has ever built a Tele thinline body from scratch.  I have a bunch of small things I'm working on, but I'm thinking if I really start jonesing for a build in the next year, I might go to the hardwood store and try to make a Tele body after those are done.  I'm trying to decide how much harder a thinline would be than a standard Tele.   

It would be more difficult and take a lot more time/tools than just doing a Tele; basically you'd need to cut a Tele body out of your wood slab and route out the chambers as if the pic below; then cut out a lam top and glue it down:

tele_thinline_top3.jpg

I've done that type of thing before.  My husband and I built a ukulele body that way, and it actually turned out pretty nice.  What concerns me is carving the F hole. 

Why not carve a different letter in there? perhaps an H-hole?

I know if I was making my own Thinline, It would be an A-hole.

Who needs f holes? You should make it your own shape. And I think by the time you've done everything else, the f hole will seem easy as hell(if hell was easy).

... because I want a Telecaster Thinline with f holes.  That's why I brought it up. 

hannaugh said:
... because I want a Telecaster Thinline with f holes.  That's why I brought it up.

I understand. But I saw a chance for a cheap joke and I took it.

that's the kind of person I am.

SPRINKLES said:
hannaugh said:

While I respect Hannaugh's search for information (about which I really have nothing worthwhile to offer) I appreciated the joke.  I saw it coming, but still appreciated it for what it was.  Little things like that amuse me.

SPRINKLES said:
hannaugh said:

It's better than expensive jokes, right?

Here you go Hannaugh this guy is real good his build threads have great info;
http://www.tdpri.com/forum/telecaster-discussion-forum/117238-coming-thread-near-you.html
Post 7, when i come across more links i will add them if you go here
http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home-depot/
use the search link with key words & you will get plenty of hits. Good Luck

Another on the F hole Hannaugh
http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home-depot/97436-%2A%2Ahmmm-think-ill-build-thinline-%2A%2A-3.html
Post #177 gets more discriptive.

Not a Tele, but my "Macrobird" thinline Firebird was done that way.  It was a great experience, but I wish I'd had the time & money to do another one immediately afterwards, just to fix all the mistakes I went through.

Main issue: Not practicing with a router enough.  If I was to do it again, I'd be much more careful about measuring where the bridge would go, route out more in the middle to get more space, and.... I'd actually go with something other than a Firebird shape (it's awkward as it is cool looking), but a thinline Tele would be too plain for me.  Still, I'm excited to see someone else do it!  Huzzah for Hannaugh!

Seriously, though: Buy a router, or borrow one from someone who won't need it for a few weeks.  Practice like crazy!

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=18198.0
Interesting thread, not sure if it's anything like what you're doing... makes me want to build a hollow body. I have this sneaky plan to buy a byoguitar hollowbody kit and build it for my dad for Christmas. My dad appreciates a good guitar, but he rarely plays, and all his guitars migrate to my room...

I have a feeling of merry January coming on.

Yeah, those are pretty cool, guys.  Wouldn't mind building something like either of those later down the road.  :headbang:

I think if all goes well, I'll probably build a lot more bodies, cause why not?  Saves money, and it's fun!  W will provide the necks though for sure cause that part is a PITA. 

hannaugh said:
Yeah, those are pretty cool, guys.  Wouldn't mind building something like either of those later down the road.  :headbang:

I think if all goes well, I'll probably build a lot more bodies, cause why not?  Saves money, and it's fun!  W will provide the necks though for sure cause that part is a PITA.
Not to mention the wip thread is always a gold mine. :headbang1:

Back