Anyone build a Bass VI?

electric__steve

I'm curious how well Warmoth's build works.  The recent Squier 6s are known to have issues with intonation, and low string break angle over the bridge.  Did Warmoth use an angled neck pocket, and good placement for the bridge? 

Any other thoughts on the build, or the Jazzmaster trem/bridge?

That's an interesting thread and a good read, though I'm not quite sure how a 12-string guitar has much to do with a 6-string short scale bass?

They’re cousins also related with to the jaguar... so as offsets you’ll encounter similar issues.  It demonstrates that the warmoth build “works.”

As to the trem, if you like a jazzzmaster trem you’ll be happy with it on the 6. 

If you want a whammy on a bass go for it. Since I don’t hardly use mine on my jazzmaster I’d go for a hard tail. It’s more a bass than a guitar to me. As to tuning issues I have none, though I swapped the Jazz trem for a strat  trem.  The jazzmaster s I’ve played  were stable, but I went with what I’m used to.  Be bold get what will make you happy.

electric__steve said:
That's an interesting thread and a good read, though I'm not quite sure how a 12-string guitar has much to do with a 6-string short scale bass?

Partly what Rick mentioned but he (amigarobbo) also did a Bass VI at some point. Here is the link...

Bass VI style Fretless, with Sustainiac

I am not quite myself at the moment and posted the XII instead of the VI. Here is why...

The Hardest Goodbye…

Cool, thanks, Mania, that VI build is definitely interesting.  Sounds like the instrument design worked out perfectly.  And I'm probably going to want to build a 12 sooner or later, so I certainly don't mind getting to read that thread as well.

Rick, I'm not a heavy trem user, but I think I would rather have it and not use it than vice versa.  I'm not thinking of this as a bass, but as a sub-baritone guitar.  I've never owned a Jazzmaster trem, so I don't have any meaningful experience.  My first guitar from almost 30 years ago is a Strat, so I'm comfortable with that setup.  I'd be tempted to get a body without a bridge route and install a strat trem, but there would be a few gotchas going that route.

Back