Any tips/tricks or pitfalls I need to watch out for when working with SS frets?

War_in_D

I bought my first neck that has SS frets and with my latest projects, I have decided to spend a lot more time on the neck fit and finish.  That means fret end dressing, rolling the edges of the fretboard, etc..  In the past, I have just slapped the neck on and played.  I invested (I say invested, because they are darn expensive!!) in a good set of files from Stewmac and bought a cheapo Squire Strat at the pawnshop about a week ago to use as a test bed to practice on before tackling the actual parts I would be using.  I finished the fret end dressing and rolling on my plain rosewood/maple neck with the nickel/silver frets that's going on the Copperhead Soloist and I'm getting ready to start on the SS frets...

So, my question is..  Is there any significant difference in working SS vs. the nickel/silver (other than the obvious hardness difference)?  If so, what tips/tricks would you recommend for a first timer working on them?

Diamond files are great on SS fret ends. I've done 2 necks so far and the diamond files really made it easy.
After that the polishing papers that Cagey recommended were perfect.

Here's the info on the papers:
https://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=20080.msg296307#msg296307

Steve_Karl said:
Diamond files are great on SS fret ends. I've done 2 necks so far and the diamond files really made it easy.
After that the polishing papers that Cagey recommended were perfect.

Here's the info on the papers:
https://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=20080.msg296307#msg296307

Thanks for the link.. I have most of that stuff already, with the exception of the freehand holder.. but I may have to pic one of those up eventually.  Would be handy to have for body finishing.

my tip is just to be #patient. deez frets take longer to file and sand n polish and such. dont rush it and you'll be shreddin that baby in no time

Thanks everyone for the advise.  Going to try to get started on it this weekend, but for sure next week since I'm on vacation. 

Thanks again for all the suggestions.  Got the neck done this weekend, and it wasn't much different than doing the nickel/silver by the time it was all said and done. 

To me the main difference is the time it takes to gradually polish those SS frets to enjoy one of their benefits: super slick feel when bending.
If you skip grits or don't go high enough they won't feel as slick as they could, and unlike nickel frets repeated bends aren't really going to smooth out the surface anytime soon.

Apparently some want to avoid that super slippery feel, in which case I presume you would just stop at a coarser grit and save the time needed polishing those frets.

Thanks for the info and video as well..  There is definitely a difference playing on the SS vs. the nickel/silver as far as feel goes. I may order SS on the next neck that I get.  I think this one turned out pretty well.

Attachments

• Fred ends rounded and rolled.jpg
    Fred ends rounded and rolled.jpg
    272.2 KB · Views: 175
  • Fred ends rounded and rolled 2.jpg
    Fred ends rounded and rolled 2.jpg
    353.2 KB · Views: 176
Back